More rooms than zones for Russound audio?

cher

Just purchased a CAS44 Russound system (Thanks Dan). Have not received it yet, but am at the planning/wiring stage. The system has 4 zones. However, I would like share a zone between two separate areas if possible. Specifically, I'd like the kitchen and outdoor patio to be 1 zone. Is this possible? I'm assuming I can only have 2 speakers per zone, but can I get single speakers that output stereo audio and have one speaker in the kitchen and the other outside?

Thanks.

A single dual voice coil speaker is electrically the same as a pair of speakers. It still uses 4 wires. I don't know the specs of the Russound, but on Nuvo you can put 2 pairs (or 2 dual voice coil, or 1 pair and 1 dual voice coil) on the same zone safely. Parallel wired (home run both to amp) that would be a 4 ohm load which is ok for most amps.

...I don't know the specs of the Russound, but on Nuvo you can put 2 pairs (or 2 dual voice coil, or 1 pair and 1 dual voice coil) on the same zone safely. Parallel wired (home run both to amp) that would be a 4 ohm load which is ok for most amps.

If I remember correctly, the CAS 4.4 will only handle an 8 Ohm load so double check this before doing it. In general, Russound only recommends one pair of speakers per amp zone.

Another option you may want to consider is an in-wall A/B switch like this. I have done this a few times with master Bedroom/bathroom type zones. Just place it next to the keypad in a double gang box and select the zone you want. The obvious disadvantage is you can only have one set of speakers active at a time.

Scott

Couldn't you hook them both up and use impedance matching volume controls so the amp still 'sees' 8ohms?
Yes, you can but with a significant drop in output. Generally, in most zones, the drop is acceptable. Outdoor speakers will suffer the most though as they lose much of their headroom on top of their already limited bass output. High frequencies will also lose much of their "sizzle" when run through VC's.

Russound does not produce "audiophile" amps (by any stretch of the imagination, and I say that while owning a CAV66) so most people compromise on their DA systems anyways. Speaker placement, architectural speakers, "passable" amps, WAF, budget, etc. conspire against us with a deep passion for music.

Just my $.02...

prolly obvious, but note that two 4Ohm speakers in series or two 16Ohm in parallel will both get that 8Ohm load.

Perhaps also worth considering that a CAV RCA output can be used to an external amp or group of external amps for a single zone. Low-cost T-amps might be a way to go.

Back