Music for the Hollidays

JohnWPB

Now the most tech-oriented of deals, but still a good one. Target has Christmas/Holiday CD's dor $1 each. I bought a couple for the heck of it, thinking they couldnt be that good. I was pleasently supprised to find that they actually are ver good!

The 2 I purchased were "Traditional Songs of the Season" & "Tis the Season for Memories". Traditional Songs is the better of the 2. It has different outstanding adult artists singing along with different children choirs in the background.

They are in individual cardboard cartons (No Jewel cases). So if your in Target, pick a couple up, you won't be dissappointed. I don't know if it matters, but I got them in a Super Target store in their dollar section.

Just make sure they are not published by Sony (and have a DRM label on them)!!

I heard California files a class action suit against Sony for that by the way. They deserved to be burned but good for that one.

We now return you to your originally scheduled programming.

Mike said:
Just make sure they are not published by Sony (and have a DRM label on them)!!

I heard California files a class action suit against Sony for that by the way. They deserved to be burned but good for that one.

We now return you to your originally scheduled programming.
I don't get it. What's wrong with Sonys music?

Rupp, I am supprised that you have not heard all of the buzz about Sony.

When you insert a Sony DRM CD in the drive, it will install a propriatary player (That MUST be used) to play the CD, as well as changing the windows $kernal. People have said if you try to circumvent this, it can make the CD-Rom unusable, and a full reinstall is needed to get the CD-Rom to work again.

The Security problem is very plain to see, the change in the Kernal masks certain filenames, making them invisable to spyware/virus removal tools. Here is a snippit talking about it:
Sony-BMG's rootkit DRM technology which masks files whose filenames start with "$sys$", has been taken advantage of. A newly-discovered variant of of the Breplibot Trojan is using the mask to hide the file "$sys$drv.exe" in the Windows system directory.

There are many Pending Lawsuits against Sony for this, and MS has recently said that their
Windows Defender (Link to article) tool will remove it, classifing it as mallware.

Here is another quote from another article:

Using code written by Sony partner First 4 Internet Ltd. of the United Kingdom, the DRM technology manipulates the Windows core processing center, or "kernel," to make it almost totally undetectable on Windows systems and nearly impossible to remove without fouling Windows, much like malicious programs known as "rootkits."

The full article can be

FOUND HERE.

Or, just do a simple Google search for "sony drm", you will get LOTS of info about it!

John,
I haven't bought a CD in years. I rarely if ever listen to music any more. Mostly sports talk radio and internet music for me. My kids buy them though. I'll have to keep an eye on this.

For a slightly different pleasure for your ears try the two Narada Christmas Collection CD's. I especially like the David Lanz & Paul Spear's rendition of Oh Holy Night and Peter Buffet's What Child is this on Volume #1 and Oh Come. Oh Come Emmanuel on Volume #2. Volume #1 has that 'old world' sound. Very mature and very warm sounding. No jingle bell music (not saying that kind of music is bad) and not as faddish as the Mannheim Steamroller. Most everyone I have ever recommended these CD's to has loved them. So if you are looking for a change to get into the Christmas spirit try listening to these.

John

Back