My contribution to the group morale

mikefamig said:

Good thought. I have some electronics parts cleaner that I can spray it with. i think that it's a good idea to stay away from the antenna lead with the spray though. My last phone didn't seem to have as good a signal after I sprayed the inside. I thought at the time that the electronic cleaner may have left a conductive residue that affected the antenna signal at the post where the wire connects to the phone. I can't prove it but I think that it's best to leave RF stuff dry.

Mike.

Some solvents will eat plastic. Usually the purer alcohol types are safe for plastics and some contact cleaners would state that on the front of the can.

I think the idea is to soak the solvent into all the small crevices and then drain the liquid out with the dirt and contaminants. What is left is diluted and should dry quickly, maybe on an HVAC register  or sunny window with air movement for a day or two.

Mine insisted on staying on the roof of my car when I left the gas station.  Then jumped off whilst I was turning a corner.  On a VERY busy street.  I knew it had happened when my bluetooth earpiece said:  "Lost Connection"

So by the time I had gone back around, some half mile of driving later, I walked the path and spotted the phone in the inside lane of said busy street, and watched while some 40 cars went thump, thump, thumpity thump over it before the light change.

Rice didn't help...

It has been sitting with the lcd removed for two days and I sprayed it with electronic cleaner today and still dead.

pete_c said:
I would give it some more time. 

I don't plan to throw it away although it would be fun to use for target practice. i have a love/hate relationship with the Iphone. My wife has the same phone so I will keep it whether it comes back to life or not and use it for parts if nothing else. I'm thinking of taking her phone so that she can get a new one.

Good news Mike!

Hate water issues...replacing the kitchen faucet as I write. It is easy to do except for the part where you have to crawl underneath the sink...drying off and typing for a little break....

I'm thinking that maybe the water shorted the battery and damaged it. The problem is that the battery connector is so small that I don't know if my test leads are small enough to test the battery voltage. I may buy a replacement to try it.

mikefamig said:
I'm thinking that maybe the water shorted the battery and damaged it. The problem is that the battery connector is so small that I don't know if my test leads are small enough to test the battery voltage. I may buy a replacement to try it.

A short piece of 18, 22, or 24 gauge wire (depending in the size of the connector contacts) can work as an extension to give you something easy to probe.  Use a couple of inches to allow you to get the ends far enough away from each other so that they don't short accidentally.

Mike - probably would have been ok with an iPhone 7? Consider upgrade :) I haven't had the pleasure of testing mine yet :)

I couldn't get a voltage reading from the battery but I can't say if I was getting a good connection to the terminals with my VOM. I ordered a $20 battery and will install it when it gets here.

Back