Need Help With HA Software Comparison

maybe i dont understand, but CQC can do a lot that you dont have marked. i could easily be missing the point of this thread/spredasheet though.

for example:

IR Input, IR Output (via USB-UIRT)

1 Wire interface

Weather Stations

Weather Forecast

IP Cameras

X-10
UPB
Insteon
Z-Wave

Logitech Squeezecenter
Russound
Nuvo

Thanks for the spreadsheet; I now realize I misunderstood the purpose of the comparison! I thought it was to compare the feature sets of several HA software applications; however, you want to compare combinations of software and hardware. Whew! That's an ambitious undertaking ... there are many permutations!

maybe i dont understand, but CQC can do a lot that you dont have marked. i could easily be missing the point of this thread/spredasheet though.

for example:

IR Input, IR Output (via USB-UIRT)

1 Wire interface

Weather Stations

Weather Forecast

IP Cameras

X-10
UPB
Insteon
Z-Wave

Logitech Squeezecenter
Russound
Nuvo

The data in this example is not correct... I was just asking for input on the format. If we decide to go this way I will fill in the actual data.

Thanks for the spreadsheet; I now realize I misunderstood the purpose of the comparison! I thought it was to compare the feature sets of several HA software applications; however, you want to compare combinations of software and hardware. Whew! That's an ambitious undertaking ... there are many permutations!

This is only one of several sheets. There are also detailed sheets for software, hardware controllers, lighting, multi-zone audio, and rural residential escalators. I don't know if I should publish them all, publish this summary and make the others downloadable someplace, or what. That is why I am looking for feedback.

Also on the combinations: I will not try to compare every possible permutation. I think it should be the most common bundles to provide a reference point for folks who don't know how to get started in thinking about this stuff.

Mike - on the formatting, the header rows are not locked like on the actual spreadsheet.

Mike - on the formatting, the header rows are not locked like on the actual spreadsheet.

I locked them on the working copy on Google but the locking does not work on the published HTML copy when you view it. I need to play with it some more to see how to do things but I'll wait for an indication if everyone is happy with this approach first.

Clarifications on the M1 Comparison Sheet:

The Web Server is available through the M1XEP Ethernet Interface.

Analog inputs are available as a zone definition.

Humidity sensors are available as a 1-Wire device.

Weather Forecasts are available on the M1 TS-07 Touchscreen with page(s) showing Weather.com.

Analog cameras are available by interfacing the TS-07 to a DVR's IP address such as Dedicated Micros Inc. There are now single channel DVR's available with IP.

Camera audio and Recording is also available through a DVR.

The M1 has a 512 Event Log.

Lighting interfaces include: X10, UPB, Insteon, ZWave, OnQ ALC, Radio Ra, Square D's CBus, EDT.

Russound whole house audio, Proficient Audio and Nuvo scheduled.

Interfaces for ELKRM, Homeseer, AMX, Crestron, CQC, Powerhome, MainLobby, MControl plus more...

GE and Ness Security Wireless interface.

Uplink Cellular interface.

Professional grade full security system.

I guess I will be the jerk as nobody else has been... :lol:

Make me a column for all the Does nots, I can get all the "I think we do" from their marketing information. :lol: I wanna know what each device /wares cannot do.

Examples:

Not open source
Not cross platform
Requires Windows Server 2003
No command line interface
No zoned IR input

You get the idea.

I also think you should seperate user contributed options and possibly leave something like:

Big user following with modifications encouraged
Big user following with modifications not encouraged
Med user following ...

If you try to keep up with user added functionality this can become a beast of burden. Maybe note the big players if they exist and a link to their forum/repository whatever.

[/jerk]

Clarifications on the M1 Comparison Sheet:

The Web Server is available through the M1XEP Ethernet Interface.

Analog inputs are available as a zone definition.

Humidity sensors are available as a 1-Wire device.

Weather Forecasts are available on the M1 TS-07 Touchscreen with page(s) showing Weather.com.

Analog cameras are available by interfacing the TS-07 to a DVR's IP address such as Dedicated Micros Inc. There are now single channel DVR's available with IP.

Camera audio and Recording is also available through a DVR.

The M1 has a 512 Event Log.

Lighting interfaces include: X10, UPB, Insteon, ZWave, OnQ ALC, Radio Ra, Square D's CBus, EDT.

Russound whole house audio, Proficient Audio and Nuvo scheduled.

Interfaces for ELKRM, Homeseer, AMX, Crestron, CQC, Powerhome, MainLobby, MControl plus more...

GE and Ness Security Wireless interface.

Uplink Cellular interface.

Professional grade full security system.

Once again - I know the data is incorrect. I was asking for feedback on the format (layout, colors, use of Google for publishing). The data was just randomly put in get a feel for how it will look. I will correct the items you listed in the actual document.

I guess I will be the jerk as nobody else has been... :lol:

Make me a column for all the Does nots, I can get all the "I think we do" from their marketing information. :lol: I wanna know what each device /wares cannot do.

Examples:

Not open source
Not cross platform
Requires Windows Server 2003
No command line interface
No zoned IR input

You get the idea.

I also think you should seperate user contributed options and possibly leave something like:

Big user following with modifications encouraged
Big user following with modifications not encouraged
Med user following ...

If you try to keep up with user added functionality this can become a beast of burden. Maybe note the big players if they exist and a link to their forum/repository whatever.

[/jerk]

Good suggestions. I think for user modifications that maybe they should be excluded unless they are officially supported by the author/manufacturer. I think negatives are covered by just haveing the feature listed and a big red N in the column of products that do not support it. So, for example, we would just need to add "open source" as a feature in the list.

upstatemike, I would love to help you fill out the column for Girder.

Ron

Thanks Ron, That would be great. If you could PM me an email address that I can use for the collaberation invite I'll set you up. I'm going to start setting up access for contributors sometime this evening.

Anyone volunteer for CQC yet? My life is harsh over the next week, will have very little time, so I'm hoping someone else stepped up.

Anyone volunteer for CQC yet? My life is harsh over the next week, will have very little time, so I'm hoping someone else stepped up.

Not yet but maybe someone will. For now I need to clean up the formatting lost during the import to Google so it will be another day before I'm ready for more data anyway.

Back