Need help with some RG6 cable... (connectors, quality, etc...)

Swancoat

Inside my video distribution can, I have a simple patch panel that my DirecTV splitter plugs into, but the jumpers are killing me. My issues:

1). I have some compression connectors and can't make a good connection to save my life. My success rate is brutal, so getting two good connections in a row required for a correctly sized jumper is tough. (Even then, one of the cables 'popped out' of its connector after installation). If anyone has a better tutorial than the stuff I found on youtube... I'm listening. (They just don't seem to be 'tight'. I crimp it and I can pull off the end with my hands).

2). The RG6 QS is too stiff to make even moderately tight bends inside my structured wiring can. For these short jumpers can I get away with something of lighter spec? (and if so... anyone got a link?)

3). Combining my two problems... I'm assuming if my compression connectors are already too loose, going to a lighter spec cable isn't going to help. Anyone have another connector they like a lot? (I like the compression connectors because they look clean, but if I need to go with a hex crimp to get the job done right, I will).

I thought this would be easier. I've made myself fully capable with Cat5/Cat6 but these things are killing me.

Thanks for any help.

I used Snap-N-Seal compression connectors on mine. But try some mini-coax patches I use those on my superpro panel, they work great.

PatchPanel.jpg

I'm in the same boat as you. I don't seem to have issues with RCA compression connectors but I've tried and failed with lots of RG6. I used a twist on connector available from the big orange home store, they worked ok. Maybe try those, but you never know if its gripping the jacket or waiting until you're not looking to pop right off.

On mine, I try to apply as much pressure as I can before crimping and when I go to crimp, it pops out. So as a "Not these either" I'd add Steren PermaSeal II to the list.

I used Snap-N-Seal compression connectors on mine. But try some mini-coax patches I use those on my superpro panel, they work great.

PatchPanel.jpg
Where can I find these mini-coax patches? Do they come in multiple colors? (not necessary, but AWESOME).

I can't tell because your pic is small, but they look relatively flexible. Are they? Any bandwidth issues on these vs. RG6?

Found them on smarthome. Look like they'll do the trick and they're dirt cheap, so I ordered a few diff sizes.

Thanks!

A lot of the RG-6 you see on reels and at the big box stores suffers from not being flexible or easy to work with. Ideal makes a tool you can thread the F connector on so you can seat the connector on the RG easier prior to crimping.

I use T+B purples on RG6-QS and they're tight. Ideal black's are similar. QS is tough to get seated in any of the compressions, you need to really push them hard to seat them.

They are very flexible. I haven't noticed any issues or difference in signal between these and RG6 patches. I know the drawing is small, they are the yellow wires if that helps...

I still haven't gotten the hang of the compression connectors - I still quite often use the hex crimp connectors - since they're smaller they flex better in tight spaces.

That said, monoprice has a lot of small jumper options as well.

Back