Need some clarification about Insteon switches...

namirrem

Can someone tell me the difference between a relay and a dimmer switch? Also, does Insteon make a slave module for 3/4-way lights?

From reading this forum, it seems like the majority seem to be very happy with their Insteon switches. I hope to be purchasing an Ocelot controller in the near future, but until then I can control them like an x10 switch - right?

Is there a certain model that is specifically for fluorescent or low-voltage lighting?

Thanks for any help - I'm a long-time x10 user trying to find a more reliable/durable/aesthetically pleasing product.

A relay is an on/off type switch. It does not support dimming at all. It is required when dealing with lights like flourescents which cannot be dimmed (or if you just don't want dimming).

The dimmers support, well dimming.

There are no companion switches in the insteon line. Everything is done by linking one switch to one of more others (or any combination). As such you use 'full' switches for all switches in a multi-way circuit.

Some people have spoken about using Icon switches as a companion but given the different load rating and different lights on them I have not looked at that.

Thanks, Mike - any idea how many switches need to be linked together for optimum reliability? I've got a fairly small house, and only enough switches for 13 at the most (I won't be doing the outside lighting just yet). I'll probably start out with the first few rooms to gain WAF, then move on with more. Will it be reliable with only 6 switches to start?

Are the regular dimmer switches capable of low-voltage (pot) lighting?

Well if you ask upstatemike, he says the number is around 125... just/kidding.

I would guess with a smaller house you may not need as many anyway (smaller number of circuits? less distance, etc.). I'm not sure if people have an accurate feel on estimating the number of switches, but your best bet might be to call smarthome tech support, seems they would have the most experience.

You might want to try the starter kit (one of them at least) that will give you the required 2 signallincs and either 2 lamplincs or one of the other switch packages, along with a controller. You should be able to get an indication with that.

I thought I had more, but I only have 14 in so far and 4 signallincs, a few controllincs (do they count?) and a few lamplincs and a phase coupler. Remote control seems to be working reliable, with one exception (that I suspect is the wiring changes done recently, but details are in another post).

I still have some replacement of the v1 x10 ones on the ground floor and basement, but it's getting there.

I'm not an electrician (so check with one before doing anything that matters), but I don't think the load rating on the "companion" or "slave" switch will matter because there is no load on it using Insteon. As I recall, with the older X10 switches the companion switch was the one that actually connected to the load, but that's not the case with Insteon. The wiring is thus different than a typical three or four way circuit because the non-load switches turn on the load switch by sending an Insteon signal to the master (load bearing) switch rather than actually switching the electrical flow of the circuit itself.

Hope that makes sense. The Smarthome website has some addtional info available on this.

I have a mix of X-10 and Insteon and I started to see critical mass for Insteon around 10 devices. That is for a fairly large home so I would guess you will be fine, however, your mileage may vary.

namirrem said:
Thanks, Mike - any idea how many switches need to be linked together for optimum reliability? I've got a fairly small house, and only enough switches for 13 at the most (I won't be doing the outside lighting just yet). I'll probably start out with the first few rooms to gain WAF, then move on with more. Will it be reliable with only 6 switches to start?
The answer is it depends on the house. :blink:

Each house is different and has different challenges. You should be fine if you start with 6 switches and also the SignaLinc RFs to bridge your phases.

I have a whopping 3 Insteon switches (plus the two RF phase links) in my small house (1700 sq ft). Reliability has been 100% since they were installed (3 months now).

Steve

Mike said:
I thought I had more, but I only have 14 in so far and 4 signallincs, a few controllincs (do they count?) and a few lamplincs and a phase coupler...
They all count because they all act as Insteon signal repeaters.

Back