New Construction, am I on the right track?

Welcome to CT,

Sounds like a thought out plan. Two things that I would mention is from what you said about the audio capabilities in the house you might as well have WHA that integrates well with the controller you decide to go with.
HAI and ELK would be my top two choices, they are both effective for what you want to do. In this particular scenario I would recommend HAI Omni Pro II because it will work beautifully with what you are wanting to do, and the reason I mentioned whole house audio is because the Nuvo integrates flawlessly with the HAI and allows you to control all of your systems together as one with an Iphone, or Ipad.
I lookled at Elk's and Omni's manual, they are not very explicit on the interface with the WHA. Is it typically RS-232 from one to another and then software takes care of the rest and allows single keypad / Ipad to control both HA and WHA?

They connect via the network, they use a network server to translate RS-232 to RJ-45 and turn into IP, which allows you to control your house automation and security via HAI and Nuvo flawlessly from your smart phone (Iphone) or Ipad from anywhere in the world as long as you have internet you can access it from the IP address or use an app for apple products called haiku. I love being able to see my cameras from anywhere in the world as well as knowing it is armed when I am out of town.

They connect via the network, they use a network server to translate RS-232 to RJ-45 and turn into IP, which allows you to control your house automation and security via HAI and Nuvo flawlessly from your smart phone (Iphone) or Ipad from anywhere in the world as long as you have internet you can access it from the IP address or use an app for apple products called haiku. I love being able to see my cameras from anywhere in the world as well as knowing it is armed when I am out of town.
You bring up a good point, I would love to be able to control everything via iPhone / Smartphone, etc. What software package are you using? Someone mentioned SQ Remote, but looking at their web site it is hard to tell what front end it is compatible with.

I would think that similar is available for Elk, eKeypad Pro is offered on iTunes for $100. Could someone chime on what it is capable of doing and how user friendly it is.

I spent some time with the creator of eKeypad a couple weeks ago and eKeypad is pretty awesome, but it really is modular, because it really is $100 to get you started which really just makes you want to do more with it and then that is where he makes his money because you have to pay for him to customize the app depending on what you want for more $$$, but eKeypad is the only app for the Ipad and Iphone. There are 2 apps for HAI and they are Snap link which is made by HAI for $50 and looks pretty good but only has a native app for the Iphone, not Ipad. Haiku being the other app for HAI is amazing looking the start up for the app is 10x as fast on both the Iphone and Ipad and has a app natively for both Ipad and Iphone.

I think you need to realize there is more ways then one to skin a elk... :) yes there is ekeypad, but if you want ti 100% custom go with a ha software package and roll your own touch screen layouts... I have the basic ekeypad Alarm (which is free in itunes Link) and it is a place to start to get some basic control...

So, if I were to go HAI route I would need:
2xHAI-33A00-20, HAI Lumina Keypad with speaker and mic
HAI-20A00-50, HAI Omni IIe Controller in Enclosure
2xHAI-33A00-3, HAI Omni console flush mount kit
HAI-28A00-2, HAI Flush Speaker Microphone Module
HAI-36A00-1, HAI UPB PIM & Cable f/Omni controllers
2xHAI-RC-1000WH, Omnistat2 Single Stage Conventional & Heat Pump Thermostat

plus power supply and battery. Am I missing anything?

Yes that looks good from what you said comparing to your original post, but the question would ask you is if you plan to do a lot of automation blocks in the future or perhaps a whole house audio I would recommend looking at the Omni Pro II because it has 1500 automation Blocks vs 500 automation blocks with the Omni IIe.

I spent some time with the creator of eKeypad a couple weeks ago and eKeypad is pretty awesome, but it really is modular, because it really is $100 to get you started which really just makes you want to do more with it and then that is where he makes his money because you have to pay for him to customize the app depending on what you want for more $$$, but eKeypad is the only app for the Ipad and Iphone.
I don't think that's fair... Though I haven't paid attention to his current lineup (I bought his first version released) I've been very pleased with his product. Actually, I just checked and my version is still for sale for $45 and it really covers everything the Elk does (security, lights, hvac, outputs)... The optional items are multiple M1's, ip video, energy module, and ip video. The $99 pro version adds everything... There are no add ons. Jayson (the developer) works very closely with Elk and has written an awesome app. I think the reason there's only one is because it would be hard to improve on and keep competitive.

Wilson, it sounds to me like you're pretty biased towards the HAI... But does the M1 *not* integrate well with the nuvo? What would HAI do that Elk doesn't? I just want to see if there are tangible facts behind your preference or just personal opinion?

I don't think that's fair... Though I haven't paid attention to his current lineup (I bought his first version released) I've been very pleased with his product. Actually, I just checked and my version is still for sale for $45 and it really covers everything the Elk does (security, lights, hvac, outputs)... The optional items are multiple M1's, ip video, energy module, and ip video. The $99 pro version adds everything... There are no add ons. Jayson (the developer) works very closely with Elk and has written an awesome app. I think the reason there's only one is because it would be hard to improve on and keep competitive.

Wilson, it sounds to me like you're pretty biased towards the HAI... But does the M1 *not* integrate well with the nuvo? What would HAI do that Elk doesn't? I just want to see if there are tangible facts behind your preference or just personal opinion?
What version are you using?

Well first, the eKeypad is a very cool app and I like it a lot, I wasn't trying to talk bad about ELK or eKeypad, I don't have a real bias towards HAI either, I simply said what I did because of the intent of the original post and HAI would be the route I would recommend to someone with these needs (desires). The two are competitive systems I was merely stating my opinion of my observation.

OK - well to be clear, the $99 version of eKeypad is the pro version that supports multiple panels and all the features in one. The $45 version (eKeypad M1) is what I have - it was the first one he released and he's kept it going with impressive momentum... that's the one that has add-ons for multiple panels ($9.99), ISY Support ($44.99), IP Video ($44.99) and Energy Module ($14.99).

And Wilson - do you know of any issues with using the Nuvo with Elk? I'm just curious - I have no idea to be honest other than knowing it's listed as a compatible system - if there's a difference in "how" they're supported I'd love to know since I've considered the nuvo myself.

Back