New Elk M1G Install - Speakers

As stated, if there's fire alarm involved, it's a big no-no unless the cable carries a FPL or equivalent/exceeding rating.

The SP12's can mount inside the keypad mounting plate - that's my preference, as it keeps the sound right at the keypad where you'd expect it; plus you can throw a few more SP12's around the house to add some fill so that everything is heard clearly. Also if you haven't noticed - depending on your keypads, if you go with the KP2 - the mount that it comes with is surface mount; the flush mount, ordered separately, looks much better. Either one has a knockout for the SP12 speaker - but with the surface mount you'll still need a hole in the wall for the speaker to sit in.

Cool! I didn't know you could put the SP12 in the flush mount box. I assume there's no problem hearing it? - it doesn't get muffled or anything?

Also, does anyone know if the M1TWSF can also fit/work clearly in the flush mount box?

Thanks

It's certainly not audiophile sound, but it does the job just fine. Using 5 I get full coverage in a 4,000sq ft house (3 behind keypads, 2 standalone).

IIRC. The M1TWSF has the same speaker, but also has a microphone. You'd have no trouble getting the speaker to mount the same way, but you'd have to figure out what to do with the microphone - it'd be something custom, but if it works adequately, it could be as simple as drilling a hole in the back of the box and using some hot glue to hold it in place.

Work2Play or anyone else, do you know if the KP2s have a speaker output built in or do you have to install a separate speaker wire for the SP12 speaker?

Work2Play said:
The SP12's can mount inside the keypad mounting plate - that's my preference, as it keeps the sound right at the keypad where you'd expect it; plus you can throw a few more SP12's around the house to add some fill so that everything is heard clearly. Also if you haven't noticed - depending on your keypads, if you go with the KP2 - the mount that it comes with is surface mount; the flush mount, ordered separately, looks much better. Either one has a knockout for the SP12 speaker - but with the surface mount you'll still need a hole in the wall for the speaker to sit in.

wildta said:
Work2Play or anyone else, do you know if the KP2s have a speaker output built in or do you have to install a separate speaker wire for the SP12 speaker?

You need to run a separate wire for the speaker, which you connect to Output 1 of the M1.

Back