New Firmware for M1G and M1XEP on ELK website

Well, if that's it, pretty disappointing. Counters still not sticky, still only 20 custom settings, still won't be able to read counters from CQC due to Elk protocol limitations. And as usual, no idea of what's coming out or is going to be supported. Elk has great teck support, but I have to say, the engineering department needs some work!!

. . . still won't be able to read counters from CQC due to Elk protocol limitations. . .
Please say what is the ELK limitation? I am reading 4 M1 counters 960 times a day and resetting them nightly (with my own code, not via CQC).

. . . still won't be able to read counters from CQC due to Elk protocol limitations. . .
Please say what is the ELK limitation? I am reading 4 M1 counters 960 times a day and resetting them nightly (with my own code, not via CQC).
There is no async notification of changes to the counter. Elk is aware of the issue. I'm only using counters because no custom settings left.
The real problem with Elk, IMHO, is that you raise issues, they commit nothing, and usually do nothing. One never knows whether an issue is ever going to be addressed. I've seen comments like "can't let the competition know what they are doing". Well, based on what I've saeen over the last 18 months, the competition doesn't have much to worry about. They aren't doing anything. If I had my time over, I'd go with HAI. They obviously have a lot more resources assigned to this space.

After further investigation what I thought was an issue in using a Rule to enable and disable the Chime is really not a problem. What I was seeing is the voice still makes an announcement, but the keypads are silent when the chime is enabled/disabled by a Rule. If no sound is wanted when the Rule fires, the voice should be disabled before the chime is disabled/enabled in the Rule.

Whew!!!

After further investigation what I thought was an issue in using a Rule to enable and disable the Chime is really not a problem. What I was seeing is the voice still makes an announcement, but the keypads are silent when the chime is enabled/disabled by a Rule. If no sound is wanted when the Rule fires, the voice should be disabled before the chime is disabled/enabled in the Rule.

Whew!!!

It would be nice if you could simply tag a rule for "no voice" during the execution of the rule.

Otherwise, is the easiest way to do this using multiple then's in a rule to turn off the voice, do your intended action like turning off the chime, and then re-enabling voice?

How difficult is it to open up the AV strings table of the XEP firmware for individual design?

Currently I'm controlling my HTD MCA-66 and Pioneer VSX21-TXH via serial lines from XSPs. I'd probably spring for a couple of IP232s to control the devices if I knew I could choose the ASCII strings to send. Then I could use my (alpha) cool iPhone app to control them as the same time -- it just dumps strings onto the ethernet network. I realize that there's some work in computing checksums on-the-fly; but there seems to be only a handful of different algorithms.

How difficult is it to open up the AV strings table of the XEP firmware for individual design?

Currently I'm controlling my HTD MCA-66 and Pioneer VSX21-TXH via serial lines from XSPs. I'd probably spring for a couple of IP232s to control the devices if I knew I could choose the ASCII strings to send. Then I could use my (alpha) cool iPhone app to control them as the same time -- it just dumps strings onto the ethernet network. I realize that there's some work in computing checksums on-the-fly; but there seems to be only a handful of different algorithms.

I agree, I am having the same issue. I would like to control my Casatunes through the XEP, and since CasaTunes sits on a PC I can use a virtual serial driver to IP. In one way, opening up that type of AV strings table and the configurations around it would allow for a lot of flexibility. I was even looking at some entry level Onkyo AV recievers that have serial control capability.

kev

Damnit Spanky! I was all set to shut down the PC for the night, but I guess now I'm doing some upgrades! Seriously though - Thx! Looking forward to the chime fix; With young kids, it's a mix between when you want to know when any door is opened, and when you don't want anything to wake them.

Your thoughts? Anyone?
I think the panels are meant to be left on anyway :) I've turned mine off once in 2 years.

After the upgrade, make sure everything is enrolled correctly... and do they all power on together, at the same time (same power source)?

Well, if that's it, pretty disappointing. Counters still not sticky, still only 20 custom settings, still won't be able to read counters from CQC due to Elk protocol limitations. And as usual, no idea of what's coming out or is going to be supported. Elk has great teck support, but I have to say, the engineering department needs some work!!

I modified the Elk driver in CQC to do polling of counters. Here is the thread...

http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=9051

Back