New guy from Upstate NY

bheffron

Hey there folks! My name is Brian, and I am a recovering geek. Ok, that's a lie. I'm not recovering, in fact it gets worse by the day.

During normal operating hours (which can range anywhere from noon to 1am) I am a graphic designer and web developer. By night, I transform into my wife's arch nemesis, the mega-geek. My nerdiness, however, has quickly outgrown our modest 2br apartment, and my wife and I have decided to build our first home!

Even the thought of this has me drooling over the new gadgets I can get to fill it up.

Alas, that is what brings me here. I am transfixed by the idea of all these new toys, but have only a slight problem concerning I have little to no knowledge about any of them. I am starting off by pre-wiring for 4 zone whole house audio system. The rest, is still a mystery and I hope you'll enjoy the complimentary entertainment as I try to work my way through this magical world. It's going to be a long ride, bring some snacks.

Cool, I am in the same area ;)

Have you decided on what whole house audio product you are going with? I also suggest you wire for a LOT more than just audio, check out this link for more info.

Wire for all zones where you will ever want distributed audio, not just the 4 current.

Welcome!

I have relatives in Skinneatlis(sp).

Brian,

Welcome. Best advice that I ever heard was "You won't have regrets for unused wire in the wall, but you will have regrets if you don't have the wire in the wall". Even if you run just one extra Cat5e or Cat6, you will find uses for it later.

Ex-Rochesterian here in NC...Isn't it getting cold there now? Sunny and 70 here today ;)

Back