New here, new home, first ELK panel

e40

Hello all,

As many of the other introductions go : My new home construction is wrapping up, and I was fortunate to get a lot of pre-wire done for security, network, and whole home audio.

Using "new work" low voltage boxes, I have two CAT6 and 1 RG6 to each TV / Desk location.  I ran a single CAT6 to a spot next to the above-the-range microwave outlet.  On many of the parade home tours I've been on lately, the integrators have been putting wireless access points in the cabinet above the microwave.  It's a nice central point in our new house, and my wife can never reach the cabinet anyway so it's usually empty.  I ran blue plastic conduit from the basement to the attic above the second floor, and the attic space above the garage for future wire drops if needed.

I have 4 zones of stereo audio using OEM System VPD-6 'vapor dome' rough in kits.  Very nice units as one of the zones penetrate attic space and I didn't want to mess around with insulation falling out, getting in the speaker, etc.  I picked their entry level 'Architect' 6.5" speakers for now.  All the speaker wire home runs to the basement where they will connect to a Crestron AADS-XM.  The volume control locations for each room are Crestron APAD's and will connect with CAT6.  This system will only be for audio, and it's working on my bench with 'out of the box' functionality for now.

My ELK M1 Gold kit arrived a couple days ago and I'm having fun bench testing it so far.  I am looking into an outdoor keypad (weigand 26 to the back of a KP2).  Can anyone make a recommendation?  I've also requested a login on Elk's site to play around with the M1 Proximity Code Calculator.  I'd prefer a keypad, but I'd also be open to a keypad+prox to convert to prox later.  My idea with the keypad is that my kids need to let themselves in after getting off the bus, and they've lost keys once already.  (A prox fob wouldn't be any different).  I ordered the network module as well as a data bus hub.  I have CAT6+22/4 going to each panel location.  (Front door entry, garage door entry, master bedroom).   I couldn't make sense of ELK's document on how to daisy chain the panels with 6 conductor.  (A1-B1, etc).  So I just spent the $40 on the DBH.  I'll have a 1000sf garage with a lot of tools and things to protect, but I still need to read up on many of the 'how to protect the garage' threads to see what configuration makes the most sense.  I think I'll just need to hold off on that configuration until we've moved in and got used to the alarm in the main area of the house.

Oh, and I ran 2 CAT6+16/4 to a couple spots around the soffit vents for IP cameras.  I currently have a 3MP Arecont Vision megadome + heater kit.  I usually connect these with CAT6 for network then the 16/4 to a 24V din rail power supply for power and heat.  I believe their new line of megadomes or enclosures can be powered and heated over POE, so that's why I ran two CAT6.

This got a little long.  Thanks for reading.

e40 said:
On many of the parade home tours I've been on lately, the integrators have been putting wireless access points in the cabinet above the microwave
I hope it's 5.8 GHz band because otherwise when the microwave is on, goodbye WiFi.

az1324 said:
I hope it's 5.8 GHz band because otherwise when the microwave is on, goodbye WiFi.

LOL, yes mine is.  There will also be other AP's around the house.  Strangely enough I did not have much of a problem on 2.4 when experimenting with this a couple months ago.  It was a newer microwave I wonder if that matters?

Back