New Insteon Setup

I have some Insteon / Icon Switches and the USB Powerline controller.
Could someone give me step-by-step instructions on setting up Premise to work with these devices (or do they already exist somewhere)? I downloaded the Insteon Mini-Broker from the files area, and imported the xdo file into Premise. When I go to the device icon and go to search, I can find Insteon devices, so I must have done something right. But I don't really know where to go from here. I'm sure this is a very easy task, I just don't know where to start.

Thanks

======================
Have you linked the devices to the controller? To do so put the PLC in link mode (manually or through the link mode property in Builder) and then follow the instructions that came with your switches (usually pressing and holding the top paddle for 3 or 4 seconds until the connected lamp flashes twice).

If you've already manually linked them through the tap-tap method, set the Detect property in Builder (under Insteon Root device). The devices already linked to the PLC should start appearing.

John
======================
Nice Insteon plugin, I do have a problem though with Keypadlincs, all my lamplincs and switchlincs show up but I just get an Insteon group for the Keypadlincs. I just installed Premise a few days ago and I am impressed with the program. I have it working with a couple of Fujitsu Stylistic Touch screen computers, a 3400 and a C-500 LT.
======================
Unfortunately, I haven't added explicit support for Keypadlincs. I just haven't used them in my own setup. However, I did provide the capability for the end-user to provide support for "generic" insteon devices and associate new device types with the generics. The generic devices supported are Dimmers, On-Off Switches, and Multi-switch controllers. I designed the multi-switch controller to support devices like Controlincs and keypadlincs, on paper. It seems to work fine on Controlincs, but I haven't explicitly tested the functionality on Keypadlincs.

To add Keypadlincs for yourself, go to the installation directory for the driver. Open the file DeviceMapFile.XML. This is the file that the Insteon driver uses to associate "real" device types with the generic devices I mentioned earlier. Open your event viewer and look through the PremiseInsteon events. One of them should have notified you that the driver couldn't register a device with Premise because it didn't recognize the device type. The device type should be a four digit code - write that down!!!!

Go back to the DeviceMapFile and find the entry that looks something like this:

<InsteonDevice>
<Name>ControlLinc</Name>
<Devicetype>0004</Devicetype>
<DeviceClass>clsInsteonMultiSwitchController</DeviceClass>
<NumberOfSwitches>5</NumberOfSwitches>
</InsteonDevice>

Copy and paste a this segment to the end of the file (before the </PremiseInsteonMap> tag)
Change string between <Name> and </Name> to whatever you want (probably Keypadlinc)
Change the string between <Devicetype> and </Devicetype> to the four digit code you found earlier. The documentation says it should be 0109, but the documentation has been known to be wrong.
You also need to change the numberofswitches property to 6 to reflect the number of switches available on the KeypadLinc.

This approach will let you reflect the state of the KeypadLinc in a premise device. It will not let you control a load connected to the Keypadlinc. One of these days, I'll breakdown and add explicit support for the KeypadLinc.

Good Luck,

-John

======================
Thank you for your help, I was trying to use it to control the load on the Keypadlincs built in local dimmer. I assigned an X-10 address to the load and can switch it on and off that way. I really appreciate that you made the Insteon driver available to us.
======================
Let me look at adding direct support for the keypadlinc. Are you interested in testing it?
======================
That would be great, yes. I also have noticed a problem with dimming a lamp it will oscillate between the dimmed setting and full power. Have you had this happen?
Thanks for the help
======================
I have not seen that happen, but there have been a few posts about similar behavior with the USB version of the PLC (lights flashing on and off). I've got the serial version and haven't seen this recently (although I did have the problem early on and corrected it). What version of the driver are you using?
======================
I am using the USB PLC and the Driver is InsteonMinibrokerDriver-0.2.3.xdo and the SmarthomeDeviceManager3-308 that was with it.
Thanks for the help.
======================
I did some reading on the Smarthome forums and it seems there are some issues with the USB version of the PLC. I decided to order the serial version PLC.
Thanks

I have some Insteon / Icon Switches and the USB Powerline controller.
Could someone give me step-by-step instructions on setting up Premise to work with these devices (or do they already exist somewhere)? I downloaded the Insteon Mini-Broker from the files area, and imported the xdo file into Premise. When I go to the device icon and go to search, I can find Insteon devices, so I must have done something right. But I don't really know where to go from here. I'm sure this is a very easy task, I just don't know where to start.

Thanks

======================
Have you linked the devices to the controller? To do so put the PLC in link mode (manually or through the link mode property in Builder) and then follow the instructions that came with your switches (usually pressing and holding the top paddle for 3 or 4 seconds until the connected lamp flashes twice).

If you've already manually linked them through the tap-tap method, set the Detect property in Builder (under Insteon Root device). The devices already linked to the PLC should start appearing.

John
======================
Nice Insteon plugin, I do have a problem though with Keypadlincs, all my lamplincs and switchlincs show up but I just get an Insteon group for the Keypadlincs. I just installed Premise a few days ago and I am impressed with the program. I have it working with a couple of Fujitsu Stylistic Touch screen computers, a 3400 and a C-500 LT.
======================
Unfortunately, I haven't added explicit support for Keypadlincs. I just haven't used them in my own setup. However, I did provide the capability for the end-user to provide support for "generic" insteon devices and associate new device types with the generics. The generic devices supported are Dimmers, On-Off Switches, and Multi-switch controllers. I designed the multi-switch controller to support devices like Controlincs and keypadlincs, on paper. It seems to work fine on Controlincs, but I haven't explicitly tested the functionality on Keypadlincs.

To add Keypadlincs for yourself, go to the installation directory for the driver. Open the file DeviceMapFile.XML. This is the file that the Insteon driver uses to associate "real" device types with the generic devices I mentioned earlier. Open your event viewer and look through the PremiseInsteon events. One of them should have notified you that the driver couldn't register a device with Premise because it didn't recognize the device type. The device type should be a four digit code - write that down!!!!

Go back to the DeviceMapFile and find the entry that looks something like this:

<InsteonDevice>
<Name>ControlLinc</Name>
<Devicetype>0004</Devicetype>
<DeviceClass>clsInsteonMultiSwitchController</DeviceClass>
<NumberOfSwitches>5</NumberOfSwitches>
</InsteonDevice>

Copy and paste a this segment to the end of the file (before the </PremiseInsteonMap> tag)
Change string between <Name> and </Name> to whatever you want (probably Keypadlinc)
Change the string between <Devicetype> and </Devicetype> to the four digit code you found earlier. The documentation says it should be 0109, but the documentation has been known to be wrong.
You also need to change the numberofswitches property to 6 to reflect the number of switches available on the KeypadLinc.

This approach will let you reflect the state of the KeypadLinc in a premise device. It will not let you control a load connected to the Keypadlinc. One of these days, I'll breakdown and add explicit support for the KeypadLinc.

Good Luck,

-John

======================
Thank you for your help, I was trying to use it to control the load on the Keypadlincs built in local dimmer. I assigned an X-10 address to the load and can switch it on and off that way. I really appreciate that you made the Insteon driver available to us.
======================
Let me look at adding direct support for the keypadlinc. Are you interested in testing it?
======================
That would be great, yes. I also have noticed a problem with dimming a lamp it will oscillate between the dimmed setting and full power. Have you had this happen?
Thanks for the help
======================
I have not seen that happen, but there have been a few posts about similar behavior with the USB version of the PLC (lights flashing on and off). I've got the serial version and haven't seen this recently (although I did have the problem early on and corrected it). What version of the driver are you using?
======================
I am using the USB PLC and the Driver is InsteonMinibrokerDriver-0.2.3.xdo and the SmarthomeDeviceManager3-308 that was with it.
Thanks for the help.
======================
I did some reading on the Smarthome forums and it seems there are some issues with the USB version of the PLC. I decided to order the serial version PLC.
Thanks

The latest version of the Insteon plugin does not require editing of the Device Map File.xml file for Keypadlincs.

Back