New Leviton devices at CES

JonW said:
I'm finding something has changed with Alexa's processing since the time I implemented mine.  I don't really use her much now except for complete room control, so I started re-testing some commands for the individual lights and now I'm getting mixed results.  My wife commented that she noticed it's been happening this way for a while now which was news to me. Some are working with the room name in the command and some are not.  I'm now using OpenHAB as my OmniPro bridge to Alexa and I'm now going back through and removing the room names from my individual lights as it IS causing confusion.  Prior to OpenHAB, I had written and used my own Alexa gateway for quite a while and back then it was working as previously described.  My best guess is things changed between V1 and V2 of their Smart Home skill protocol.
Don't feel bad, its still an evolving puzzle. The actual naming of switches for voice response is not a trivial task either. You have an Omni with 90's technology, a bridge of some sort, SmartThings with classic and "new" applications, V1, V2, and V3, then Alexia with is another in progress device.

I will say that many years ago I used HomeSeer 2 and wired mics around my house connected to this very expensive sound mixer. Then for speakers I had to install speakers in my attic each with a power amp and a big power supply supplying it all then back through the expensive audio mixer.  If the room didn't have too much echo from the floor, it would usually recognize what you wanted after a few tries. 

Believe me, Alexia works MUCH better and is 100 times cheaper.

Here just wanting to look at the new Leviton WiFi switch insides.   

Hoping that they use an ESP chip and there are JTAG traces to be able to put the switch in programming mode and update the OS to using alternative firmware to give me the option of using it locally rather than the Leviton Cloud.  

A bit antiquated here I do not want to program the switch with my smartphone or tablet.  

I like the multifunctional ESP Espurna firmware which lets me talk to the cloud or just locally and offers both cloud and local control.  

I am tinkering with WiFi stuff and never historically have wanted to automate and depend on Wifi as I prefer my powerline UPB. 

The Amazon Echo sees the following device just fine for basic on off and color control but not the temperature sensor adds.   . 

I want to do the same with the new Leviton WiFi switches.  

I am current cutting out the HV 120 VAC switch part and converting these to LV switches.  That and wondering if the Leviton WiFi switch boards are easy to get to.

eespurna.jpg

Back