New SageTV point release.

CollinR

SageTV released a new point release today.

"Narflex @ SageTV Forums" said:
SageTV Version 6.2 is now available on our website in the download area!

http://sagetv.com/download.html

The main updates to V6.2 over V6.1 are as follows:

Support for DVB-T, DVB-C and DVB-S on Windows including support for CAM/CI
Support for DVB-T, DVB-C and DVB-S on Linux
ClearQAM support for the Hauppauge HVR-1600 & HVR-1800 on Windows
ClearQAM support for the AverMedia M780 on Vista only
BDA Support for the HDHomeRun
Lots of Bug Fixes & performance optimizations
Updated User Interface
New User Interface Themes
Enhanced H.264 Support
Added AppleTV and iPhone transcoding support

That sounds like some cool stuff, the DVB-S... fixed many h.264 troubles for RC5000...

I know there are some SageTV guys here.

just downloaded it myself :unsure: I'm new to Sage (been with Tivo since they came out so it's been a small adjustment) but liking it so far.

There is an MCE like customization that is great. I think it was something like SageMCE 16x9. It's a very popular one on those boards and I recommend checking it out if you have not done so already.

If you guys run into troubles or want advice let me know I have been using SageTV for quite some time and have quite a few tricks in mine.

I wouldn't reccomend SageMC, nothing wrong with it but it it not compatiable with the default interface so many of the hacks won't work with it. On the other hand it has many hacks preinstalled, it just depends on what you need it to do. For me it is easier to modify the default STV then SageMC.

If you have SageTV you should have an MVP if you still have SD TVs in your home, it's just cheap sweetness.

I also control my MVP in the master via an RF remote, thats been one of my lastest deals. This way I can control the music and volume from inside my spa (and it too) where I cannot actually see the TV. Someday I'll hang and LCD in there but until then, this works.

The thing I like about SageMC is that it has the "playback of ripped DVDs" option, so I can watch DVDs on the SDTV through the MVP.

I can create that effect in the default STV as well, they show up (as I sure you know) in the imported videos under DVD. The only thing that would totally mimic it is a screen without the links back to regular imported videos. You can use the dynamic menus plugin to make a menu item that jumps directly to imported videos>DVDs.

Here is the menu code to do that. ;)

Code:
		<internalScreenMenuItem screen="Video Library Folder View" title="Network DVDs">
			<evalExpression>AddStaticContext("PathFilterExprs", new_java_util_ArrayList())</evalExpression>
			<evalExpression>java_util_List_add(PathFilterExprs, "\\\\UNCPATH\\TOYOUR\DVDs")</evalExpression>
			<evalExpression>AddStaticContext("PathFilterExcludes", false)</evalExpression>
		</internalScreenMenuItem>

Thanks Collin.

I have yet to fool with that particular plugin....but I do have a need for it. I was kinda waiting for the HD extenders....but I am getting tired of waiting :(

2 things...

You ahd a seemingly unanswered question somewhere, I'll see if I can find it. If so I have your answer.

Is your SageTV headless? Same box as Geovision?

EDIT:

Here it is.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25968

Controlling MVPs remotely from the server. I now have 1 MVP that is controlled by an Nvidia RF remote. I actually like the MVP's remote but I need more buttons. I use a combination of EventGhost, Neil's Webserver for SageTV and wget.

The syntax in EventGhost looks like this:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<EventGhost Version="908">
	<Macro Name="Kill Master MVP Client" Expanded="True">
		<Event Name="TCP.KillMasterMVP">
		</Event>
		<Action>
			System.Execute(u'C:\\AutomationApps\\GnuWin32\\bin\\wget.exe', u'http://USERNAME:[email protected]/sage/SageCommand?context=MVP_MAC_ADDRESS&amp;command=Power', 3, False, 2, u'')
		</Action>
	</Macro>
</EventGhost>

That is a TCP event that can be fired off across the LAN from another EventGhost or Girder machine. To make it a local event just change the EventName or add a new event before it.

As you might guess I use that to free up a tuner without having to actually go there. I also use the Dynamic Menus to send that event out using EventGhost's command line interface. This way all SageTV clients anywhere on earth can free up a tuner. So it will work FROM MVPs and placeshifter clients as well.

Slightly OT, but is anyone currently using Sage with DirecTV? I have been waiting for D*'s network solution or a D* pci card but every 6 months is the same answer 'we're working on it', so I was thinking about just using it with my D* receivers. How accurate is the Sage guide compared to D*? How easy/functional compared to the D* DVR?

Slightly OT, but is anyone currently using Sage with DirecTV? I have been waiting for D*'s network solution or a D* pci card but every 6 months is the same answer 'we're working on it', so I was thinking about just using it with my D* receivers. How accurate is the Sage guide compared to D*? How easy/functional compared to the D* DVR?

Naw not off topic at all, This is a SageTV thread but if you use anything before v6 I can't help ya much.

Many use SageTV with DirectTV for SD content, currently the only means of getting HD Sat programming into a PC that I know of are illegal (and DishNet). There is hope though! SageTV does support the European CAM/CI satellite systems, you just put the access card into the PCI card tuner card.

DirectTV has a good reputation for being able to control the box from a PC. I dont have DirectTV but I know many use RS232 and if you must use IR I have don't that many times with Digital Cable boxes, it becomes a slight issue in large installs where you have more then 3 of the same make/model boxes. This issue can still be overcome though.

The guide is pretty accurate for me, as I understand in Sat systems the guide data is transmitted with the video. So I assume when everything is working you'll get the exact same data (works now on the illegal stuff) you do now. SageTV natively uses a service called Zap2it, the same one used by MythTV. However Zap2it has stopped their free service, SageTV customers have a commercial license included in the server software license. Zap2it is the same service it seems Cox Communications uses.

http://tulsa.cox.net/cci/tvlistings

SageTV although it has a learning curve is very easy to use and pretty easy to configure. It is probably not as easy to use as a dedicated Sat box DVR but not too far off either. Obvisouly you can't really configure a Sat DVR so it's much more complicated in that area. Functionality they aren't in the same ballpark, or state really. With no hacks at all SageTV does loads more then a Sat STB, with extensive modification it can do almost anything you desire.

I use Sage with 2 DirecTV boxes - no issues at all. I use serial communications to change channels. It's slow though... not ideal for surfing (I haven't surfed in years...)

Connecting my antenna this afternoon for my HD channels. Just waiting on the HD extender. I have 5 MVPs I use now with excellent results.

Just need to figure out how to automatically sort recordings to Mine, Wifes, Both, and Kids. Then I'd have extreme happiness :)

The thing I like about SageMC is that it has the "playback of ripped DVDs" option, so I can watch DVDs on the SDTV through the MVP.
I use the default interface and playback ripped DVDs without issue (they are in imported videos folder)

I use Sage with 2 DirecTV boxes - no issues at all. I use serial communications to change channels. It's slow though... not ideal for surfing (I haven't surfed in years...)

Ya gotta admit though, Sat is nowhere near as fast as analog cable for surfing in the first place. I am pretty sure you can speed SageTV up to about the same speed the channels are aquired conventionally.

Connecting my antenna this afternoon for my HD channels. Just waiting on the HD extender. I have 5 MVPs I use now with excellent results.

Would you agree that MVPs are somewhat of a "must do" thing if you still have SD TVs in your home?

Just need to figure out how to automatically sort recordings to Mine, Wifes, Both, and Kids. Then I'd have extreme happiness :)

I am pretty sure I can help you get them sorted. :D I'll need to look around a little but basically it's a modification of the menu item code I posted above.

I'll need some time to research the physical sorting as they would actually be sorted on disk.

I can also help you customize an interface specifically for the kids, limit the guide data and provide direct access to their content. My kids currently don't have an MVP, but they will soon so I have been planning the depoyment. This obviously removes their ability to reconfigure the system and modify favorites and the like.

I use the default interface and playback ripped DVDs without issue (they are in imported videos folder)

If you copy/paste that code above into your menu file it will provide direct access to DVD content alone without having (or being able to) see the other imported content. I use this as I have some ~questionable~ imported content that I would prefer my daughters not see, this content is only accessible from the master bedroom. :)

Back