New wifi device. Looks promising

The device does look promising, but I am not too impressed with the fact that this relies on 'the cloud'.

Personally here now testing with the Seagate Dockstar and 1-wire devices. Together they do make a small footprint on the network put anywhere type of setup. (wired or wirelessly). I have been playing with some newer or different style USB/9097 devices that I have not seen from Maxim technologies but using same methodologies somewhat. I've chopped up the device that I purchased a bit. It came with two cabled with probes temperature sensors using two stereo (3 pin connections) jacks on it. The specific testing right now is one Seagate dockstar sitting inside of the sprinkler box with two Rain8's and one USB to 1-wire setup running Archlinux. Works and can talk wired or wirelessly in any fashion you want to these hardware devices. That said the footprint is a bit bigger than the posted sensor.

Along a similiar trend is what is going on these days with Arduino "stuff" for that DIY person.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Projects/

I guess then I wouldn't mind testing the device if it also had a built in NIC and more control of the software running on it. For the "beginner" in this realm the use of Twitter, email, or text messaging to get data from the device would be optimal; those seasoned HA/DIY folks would want other means to get data from the device or the option of said means not limited to just what is available.

It really is way too expensive. I guess it's useful if you have a single home automation task in mind, but home automation is expensive enough as it is.

Hey guys, I'm new to home automation,

I've found some temperature sensors for 2.2cents each, yep you read it right. how can home automation still be expensive, its bogling my mind. So DIY is the way to go for me. Can you guys point me at some wholesale supplier sites for PIR sensors and other types of sensors. thanks. I also started a new thread with some of my research.

I found these a while ago and always wanted to buy one to play with. Its Ebay item: 130617149865 for $2.71 USD

Dimension: 3.2cm x 2.4cm x 2.8cm (approx)
Infrared sensor with control circuit board
The sensitivity and holding time can be adjusted
Working Voltage Range: DC 4.5V- 20V
Current drain:<60uA
Voltage Output: High/Low level signal:3.3V TTL output
Detection distance: 3--7M(can be adjusted)
Detection range: <140°
Delay time: 5-200S(can be adjusted, default 5s +-3%)
Blockade time: 2.5 S (default)
Trigger: L: Non-repeatable trigger H: Repeat Trigger (default)
Work temperature:-20-+80°C
Trigger Method: L unrepeatable trigger / H repeatable trigger

Attachments

• Sensor IR Module-1.jpg
    Sensor IR Module-1.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Sensor IR Module-2.jpg
    Sensor IR Module-2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 2
Looks like you could link that device up with a cai webcontrol board quite nicely. If you have a an ISY unit then you can use WCLink and use it to control Insteon devices.

http://supermechanical.com/twine/

Just FYI.

Yes a bare Temp.sensor may be 2.2. cents only.
And this device is much more expensive.
But it looks like a rather complete system

Back