Newbie NX-8V2 question

bingl

I am in learning mode with my home builder installed NX-8V2. I was connecting my newly purchased NX-586e to the alarm mother board via its alligator clips to explore the DL900 software. My key pads are NX-1324 (cheesy).

I fried the NX-586e immediately (stinkin, smokin).

I thought I clipped correctly to my labeled board...red to "kp pos", black to "kp com", green to "kp data". These screw terminals are side-by-side on the board. Did this a few weeks ago if I remember right.

Now, I have a 2nd newly purchased NX-586e. Does this sound correct? What should I be doing correctly? All insights, warnings, directions greatly appreciated. I hate to fry a second nx586.

Thank you everybody!

I'm wondering if you shorted something while getting the clip leads on (bumped another wire lead or something like that). I don't have an NX-586 as I have the NX8-e version (don't need that board as it has serial connection built in), but I do have three keypads and a relay and zone expander and I don't remember having any trouble connecting those boards up using the procedure you described.

You might want to PM Gordon on this as he has a lot of experience with Caddx systems as well.

I still have my NX8e sitting next to me on the desk while I try to figure it out, and I'm in no means an expert in this stuff as this my first time trying to hook up anything more complex than a TV and VCR. But why aligator clips? Wouldn't it be better to wire nut/splice etc the wires together and run one wire to the small screw terminal on the board? Same for wiring it up hot, I would have thought this was a no-no.

I guess the reason for my post is so that someone who understands this stuff can tell us the right way to go about it. I guess I'm still in the "Look at all the blinky lights and fancy pieces-its kinda scary mode".

Hooking anything up hot is almost always a bad idea, unless you know exactly what you are doing.

If you MUST though, make sure you hook up the ground first, then power, then data. Sounds like you had some CMOS circuits that went into latchup.

I have an NX-8e as well and use a direct serial cable to my PC.

I suspect something got crossed somewhere and that's why it fried. Double check and try everything again.

But if you are planning on doing more "fancy" HA stuff, you will probably need to replace the panel. Even though I have my panel talking to my Housebot software, the panel does talk x10 too! So you can natively do things like when the panel is disarmed, turn on the hallway light.

Tim

Definitely learning the general rule about "not wiring hot". Although in my case, it probably would not have helped me since I probably clipped the wrong screw terminal.

The 586e is purpose-built with alligator clips. IMO, it acts like a memory stick to store your alarm profiles/configurations. Connect, download, disconnect. I just wanted to connect my alarm system to CQC for HA. The NX8e sounds much cleaner. Wish I had that board to start with. But I am open minded to swapping it out too. Can the NX8e be exchanged for the current NX8V exactly the same, zone for zone and wire for wire? I could do it if this was something identical looking, otherwise I need Pro help.

Posted here before for Pro help, but I guess nobody is local. But this forum is very good and I am very appreciative to everybody.

Thank you!

Definitely learning the general rule about "not wiring hot". Although in my case, it probably would not have helped me since I probably clipped the wrong screw terminal.

The 586e is purpose-built with alligator clips. IMO, it acts like a memory stick to store your alarm profiles/configurations. Connect, download, disconnect. I just wanted to connect my alarm system to CQC for HA. The NX8e sounds much cleaner. Wish I had that board to start with. But I am open minded to swapping it out too. Can the NX8e be exchanged for the current NX8V exactly the same, zone for zone and wire for wire? I could do it if this was something identical looking, otherwise I need Pro help.

Posted here before for Pro help, but I guess nobody is local. But this forum is very good and I am very appreciative to everybody.

Thank you!

I would suspect you can change the 8V for the 8e. In fact, it wouldn't suprise me if you could download your config from the v and then upload it to the e.

Everything else should be the same... Wire for wire.

Tim

Back