Newbie WEBSET questions

epfunke

I am having trouble sending the value of a VAR from one wc32 board to another.  Both are on the same lan, both V4.02.18.

One of the 2 boards has been reliably sending values to my ISY, and I found examples of what to put in the webset URL to talk to isy.

What would I put in the webset URL on the first WC32, to set VAR1 on the second WC32?

I have the ip addresses correct, and I have the encoded username/password sting in that field.

Any help would greatly appreciated.  and if there is a good explanation of this, or a tutorial somewhere please point me to it.

Thanks and have a great day

Eric

I finally got this working and wanted to post what I found.  From section 3.3 of the programming manual on page 35

to manually set a VAR value from outside....

so I put /api/setvar.cgi?varid=1&value=  in the webset URL

and called WEBSET URL1 VAR1 in the plc program  and the value of VAR1 was sent VAR1 in the second wc32 board

Glad you got it working. Took me a while to figure out how to use the webset command, the user manual is not very clear about details. Note, the source register can be different then the destination register set in the Webset URL.

Something to keep in mind is the destination should verify info is current. In my case I send the info every minute and at the destination if the value has not been updated in 10 minutes consider it unreliable and revert to plan B.

/tom

This is a common problem with so many native Mandarin language translations to English in manuals. At times, the same paragraph can contradict itself in what appears to be a direct translation of words that may not follow English grammar rules.

I am going to suggest a manual suggestion thread or other input place for experienced English and experienced users to suggest wording changes, in order to improve the overall experience and help promote ease of usage and education for the product.

Larry, good suggestion. Our manual originally written by an UK engineer, but later being updated by engineers in US as more features added. If there is any way to make manual easier to follow, please send us suggestions.

Since no one else has volunteered here is the stuff I struggled with. This is all WC8, so far I have not needed the horsepower of WC32.

Show in detail exactly how command/features work, add more code examples.

Lets talk about webset

1) Command is called webset but needs to be configured in a field called webget. I spent a long time just trying to figure out if it was a set or get command. This is particularly confusing because manual documents WC responds to get commands, just cannot issue them (AFAIK).

2) Show how to setup (webget) constants and add info that "value" is passed as a variable when webset is executed.

3) Code example showing usage of webset command.

4) For extra points mention the destination should do a sanity check on received value to make sure the remote device has not failed and the data is stale.

General
Many commands update the zero bit, that's nice but what is the resulting value? It is a pain to have to write test code just to verify the value.

/Tom 

Tschmidt said:
Since no one else has volunteered here is the stuff I struggled with. This is all WC8, so far I have not needed the horsepower of WC32.

Show in detail exactly how command/features work, add more code examples.

Lets talk about webset

1) Command is called webset but needs to be configured in a field called webget. I spent a long time just trying to figure out if it was a set or get command. This is particularly confusing because manual documents WC responds to get commands, just cannot issue them (AFAIK).

2) Show how to setup (webget) constants and add info that "value" is passed as a variable when webset is executed.

3) Code example showing usage of webset command.

4) For extra points mention the destination should do a sanity check on received value to make sure the remote device has not failed and the data is stale.

General
Many commands update the zero bit, that's nice but what is the resulting value? It is a pain to have to write test code just to verify the value.

/Tom 
Thanks, Tom.  WEBSET is a PLC command. Under layer is to use HTTP GET command to set value on the destination. I guess that was the confusion that our engineers created and did not even realize.  To set a value on remote HTTP server, HTTP protocol provided two methods, POST or GET. POST requires a lot more resources, so that we implemented this WEBSET PLC function by using HTTP GET protocol.

We should clean them up in the UI and documents.  I will let our engineers know.  Thanks for your input!  It is great to hear your great suggestions also in fine details.

Back