No touch gate opening?

Auto sensor gate is what you can opt for. You could either replace the gate itself, or have the auto sensor embedded into the existing gate. The auto sensor gate will be something like the gates you’ll see in some offices and malls. The auto sensor gates are high in demand for the effectiveness and the ability to recognize everything that it has been instructed with, right in a jiffy.

Some newer cars have the ability to automatically unlock the car as soon as you (with key fob in pocket) get close to it and pull the door handle.  This is basically what I'm looking for but is there anything commercially available like this?  Is it using the low energy Bluetooth standard (BLE)?  If not commercially available are there components available to make this happen.

The active RFID Tx/Rx module is definitely an option (the version that provides RSSI readouts) but a Bluetooth BLE solution seems ideal.  

Some newer cars have the ability to automatically unlock the car as soon as you (with key fob in pocket) get close to it and pull the door handle.

Here have an old and new car which programs the environment of the car when you sequence push buttons on the FOB.  IE: opens sunroof, windows, moves driver seats.  The two cars also have VR which I shut off. 

In my personal carpc endeavors did install a tank battery in the beginning.  Ideally this could work as an automously powered system maybe (2 batteries which could work together or separately providing additional functions - well even putting a solar charger on one of the batteries).

IE: you could bridge the two methodologies of using active RFID and the stuff that is connected to the bus (which still is now a mixture of serial and IP these days).  I did have an issue with the newer vehicle because of a sticky bluetooth module remaining on and connected to my phone when I would take my phone to my home and remain connected to the bluetooth module in the car (which drained the battery a few times under the extended 5 year warranty).  My  sister's new automobile had the same issue relating to a sticky bluetooth module.  I don't think they have it figured out yet.

I've been looking for a proximity triggered gate opener and am very interested in the iBeacon setup. Do you actually have this working? Has it been reliable? Possible to have an iBeacon at the gate opener with some controller triggering a relay?
ano said:
Or use a solution I talked about with iBeacons which is an approved Apple and Android technology.  Another benefit of this solution is it works anywhere, even in your car, since your phone is the RFID receiver. This can tell your alarm panel when you enter your car, for example, even if your car is in the middle of nowhere (as long as there is a cell signal.) put another iBeacon in the garage and your panel will know when you approach your garage. iBeacons are about $25 and battery life can be 2 years plus.

Let me explain how iBeacons work, for those that don't know.

Instead if an RFID receiver and an RFID transmitter, things are reversed. iBeacons are Bluetooth 4 transmitters that you put at fixed locations, in your garage, for example. The RFID receiver is your phone which receives Bluetooth. Every phone nowadays does this.

So your phone moves with you, but the iBeacons remain at fixed locations like your garage, or they can be in moving locations, like your car.

If your phone has an app. that is iBeacon capable, it can use your phone's Bluetooth to detect when its near an iBeacon, which are individually coded. If your iPhone application is SPACE (the HAIku successor)  then it is iBeacon capable. But wait, SPACE is an app. that can control your OMNI panel remotely.  So putting all this together, all you need is iBeacons to be able to control your OMNI panel from anywhere.

Place iBeacon in garage. When SPACE detects iBeacon, it tells your OMNI to open garage door.  You don't need any RFID receivers, and your RFID transmitters are iBeacons.  If you placed an iBeacon in your car, when you approached your car, your OMNI could announce in your house for your wife that you were in your car.  Lets see you do that with the simple RFID solution discussed here.

Currently SPACE only supports iPhones and iPads so if you have Android or ELK you might be out-of-luck. But if your using an iPhone, and an OMNI, its a pretty cool solution, not that it can't be done on Android or ELK in the future.

Back