Noise and UPB

LightenUP

I've been working and selling UPB for more than a year. I admit it's not without challenges but I'm still very excited with the technology. The information that says to make sure to tighten the screws throughout the panel is one I'm looking forward to try.

I have had success doing physical phase alligning and have used couplers but I'm not sure why it's so necessary. In the x-10 world you could add a bunch of components like repeaters and filters and extra timers and usually get it to work also, if you had the time. I personally am not in the automation business but as I see the investment of time for an installation it could cut into my current responsibilities.

So as i've been told there's a new firmware that ignores alot of unregulated filthy ballasts or electronic transformers from China. So why are they (PCS) not releasing this protocal to all manufacturers?

I have also been using the new firmware in appliance modules and have noticed an improvement but some issues still remain if a noise source is on the same circuit.

So you all say filters from x-10 work, I'll have to try it. What about the in-line type?

Noise sources I've found:

Undercabinet lighting
any low voltage light in the house has potential
An old satelite receiver missing the dish. Just unplugged it all's well
Samsung DLP's
Also strangly a Samsung plasma
Neon
Possible radio tower antennaes
Variable speed pumps
Maestro dimmers
etc.

Most of these situations can be resolved I understand that but with the PLC world growing there will have to be FCC restrictions eventually for products causing interference.

How do you whole home guys battle this stuff? Have you ever had to walk from a job? How do you get a utility company to fix noise at road if necessary. What happens after time if a transformer, ballast or charger starts going bad? Will the whole home become unreliable.

I have confidence, I just don't want it to be unpredictable.

I've been working and selling UPB for more than a year. I admit it's not without challenges but I'm still very excited with the technology. The information that says to make sure to tighten the screws throughout the panel is one I'm looking forward to try.

I have had success doing physical phase alligning and have used couplers but I'm not sure why it's so necessary. In the x-10 world you could add a bunch of components like repeaters and filters and extra timers and usually get it to work also, if you had the time. I personally am not in the automation business but as I see the investment of time for an installation it could cut into my current responsibilities.

So as i've been told there's a new firmware that ignores alot of unregulated filthy ballasts or electronic transformers from China. So why are they (PCS) not releasing this protocal to all manufacturers?

I have also been using the new firmware in appliance modules and have noticed an improvement but some issues still remain if a noise source is on the same circuit.

So you all say filters from x-10 work, I'll have to try it. What about the in-line type?

Undercabinet lighting
Samsung DLP's
Neon
Variable speed pumps
Maestro dimmers
etc.

Most of these situations can be resolved I understand that but with the PLC world growing there will have to be FCC restrictions eventually for products causing interference.

How do you whole home guys battle this stuff? Have you ever had to walk from a job? How do you get a utility company to fix noise at road if necessary. What happens after time if a transformer, ballast or charger starts going bad? Will the whole home become unreliable.

If you have technical questions you can contact Ken or Brad at Simply Automated

Customer Support 7am - 4pm Pacific

800-630-9234 x138
[email protected]

Dave

Undercabinet lighting
Samsung DLP's
Neon
Variable speed pumps
Maestro dimmers
etc.

800-630-9234 x138
[email protected]

Dave
I know Simply Automated has technical support. I'm sure they can help, just looking for easy solutions. Time Is Money!! I was really wondering about the other experiences out there, other than issues with noise that I've read about.

Do the coupler devices have improvements in reliability? More than phase aligning in the panel itself?

I've actually been installing devices at my house for a while now and ran into an unbelievable snag. MY HOUSE HAS NO NEUTRALS!!.

All you guys know what I mean when I say I'm wireLESSS. .

So it looks like either I'm going into the attic to run lines or I'll use hardwire units with remote switches. What do you think?

Undercabinet lighting
Samsung DLP's
Neon
Variable speed pumps
Maestro dimmers
etc.

800-630-9234 x138
[email protected]

Dave
I know Simply Automated has technical support. I'm sure they can help, just looking for easy solutions. Time Is Money!! I was really wondering about the other experiences out there, other than issues with noise that I've read about.

Do the coupler devices have improvements in reliability? More than phase aligning in the panel itself?

I've actually been installing devices at my house for a while now and ran into an unbelievable snag. MY HOUSE HAS NO NEUTRALS!!.

So it looks like either I'm going into the attic to run lines or I'll use hardwire units with remote switches. What do you think?

My house is 95% UPB and besides the noise issue on one leg from LIPA, the technology is solid. You might have to go to the Z-Wave technology due to your high voltage issue (NO NEUTRALS? GET AN ELECTRICIAN THERE IMMEDIATELY).

The #1 thing I love about UPB is that you can STATUS any switch and thereby verify the system. This in turn guarantees reliabiltiy and peace of mind as to the light being off when you're sleeping.

-=*Sharby*=-

Undercabinet lighting
Samsung DLP's
Neon
Variable speed pumps
Maestro dimmers
etc.

800-630-9234 x138
[email protected]

Dave

My house is 95% UPB and besides the noise issue on one leg from LIPA, the technology is solid. You might have to go to the Z-Wave technology due to your high voltage issue (NO NEUTRALS? GET AN ELECTRICIAN THERE IMMEDIATELY).

The #1 thing I love about UPB is that you can STATUS any switch and thereby verify the system. This in turn guarantees reliabiltiy and peace of mind as to the light being off when you're sleeping.

-=*Sharby*=-

Sorry I don't know what LIPA is. Also are you running PC software for the status or are you talking about the LEDs responding to an off command?

My house has neutrals in the ceiling just not in the switches. I just wanted to avoid the hardwire units though it looks like I can't.

I am having fun with it. I set up an entry seen, entertainment, ALL ON, and an exit. The exit one is cool cause it runs delay triggers and fires a program when link 4 is generated. All this from the timer from the web mtn guys.

I'm glad to have found this site, Thanks for you responses and I'll keep reading any suggestions.

Back