OmniPro System with VOIP

GingerSwag

Seeking alternatives for my current setup, and I've noticed others sharing similar concerns. Besides a dedicated security-only line and an inactive LTE line, I'm exploring other ideas or emulation devices to bridge the gap. While I've come across suggestions, using Omni with the OOMA VoIP system doesn't seem to deliver the desired results.
Are there any other VOIP systems worth considering? It's important to note that other users have also raised concerns about limited call-in functionality, and I'm skeptical about the security system's ability to make outbound calls unless everything is flawlessly configured.

Only solution I can think of (but never used) is something like the newer Uplink devices. Are you looking for proper monitoring/life-saving features, or just convenience?

Upvote 0
I'd start with SmartHomeCentral or NextAlarm, the companies that can monitor an Omni, and use the communicator they suggest. Telguard or Alula BAT Connect are some common ones. I know the Alula can use Internet, cellular, or both. I like it because it always keeps connected to cellular AND Internet at the same time, so if one goes down, it will instantly use the other.

Upvote 0
@ano That alula BAT-Connect looks really good, although availability seems to be limited when looking for local dealers. I'll have to ping them myself, as I'm dealing with an unrelated project where I also need something like this.

Upvote 0
I've been using it for two years, and it seems to work good, BUT it has one very annoying characteristic. It sends out a VERY STRONG WiFi signal that can't be shut off. With only 3 non-overlapping 2.4Ghz wi-fi channels, and lots of outside interference, I don't need inside interference. I tried shunting the wifi IC pin (got error), tried wrapping it in copper mesh and grounding it. Its still stronger than any access point I have. Otherwise, most alarm monitor services seem to support the BAT-Connect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I’m a bit lost on the suggestions. How do I connect any VOIP to the Omni system? It has built in answering system, as well as security over a traditional land line. But I have no idea how to connect it to anything but a phone jack to accomplish this. I hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Most of these devices have either terminals or a phone jack to hook up the phone line directly to the system. This device takes care of everything, to your panel, it will look like a regular phone line.

Upvote 0
I’m a bit lost on the suggestions. How do I connect any VOIP to the Omni system? It has built in answering system, as well as security over a traditional land line. But I have no idea how to connect it to anything but a phone jack to accomplish this. I hope this makes sense. Thanks.
The general type of device you're looking for is an ATA (Analog Telephony Adapter). This little box supplies dial tone to the Omni panel and lets you choose your VoIP provider and service.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have used my Ooma VOIP box since the beginning of Ooma. When I switched off copper went to the Ooma box and it has been working fine).

Backup (failover) for my XFinity ISP is a combo LTE modem. (it works fine with Ooma) or I can use the RJ11 jack on the LTE Modem.

I also use a combo LTE modem with an RJ11 jack (and dial tone) which replaced an old W.25 3G combo modem.

Upvote 0
Back