Onkyo TX-SR705 vs 805

shenandoah75

I already have an 805 for my main HT / family room and overall fairly pleased (see below)...

I am considering buying a second receiver for my master bedroom. I know both of these might be considered slight overkill, but i can use the 6/7th channel amps to power speakers (as zone2) in my master bath which i like the convienence. And if the other ever died, i'd have a quick swap (though hoping that doesn't happen)... I'm leaning 705...

Main question - i find it interesting that the 805 gets 5 stars from everyone at Crutchfield's reviews and the 705 got 4. The negatives (slow switching response , switching noise) noted on the 705 , i see the same thing on the 805? Is there any other major differences (don't see extra power/the ultra cert/3 room source as a need in the bedroom)?

I'll take any other recommendations too...

-brad

I was looking at these two recievers also.

I ended up with the 705. It seemed to me that the 705 had all the same features and controllability as the 805, but with a smaller price tag (JR music).

I'll be curious to hear what other have to say.

edit for grammar

I already have an 805 for my main HT / family room and overall fairly pleased (see below)...

... And if the other ever died, i'd have a quick swap (though hoping that doesn't happen)...

-brad

Would the other features that you don't think matters, be missed if you had to swap out your dead receiver? Other than what you had already mentioned you may consider the component video bandwith differences "50 vs. 100mhz" and an extra digital audio in connection.

A bit late for an update, but i went with the 805 for theater, 705 for master bedroom (probably overkill)

My only slight regret is that the newer models have ethernet connectivity and built in support for HD radio and more importantly various streaming including pandora...

Back