OSX Mountain Lion Upgrade

tmbrown97

This is as off-topic as anything, but I know there's a handful of Mac users here... I use a MacBook for my laptop, but a PC Desktop, as I feel each is better suited for what I use them for.

Anyway - having used MacBooks for close to 5 years now, I got to like the reliability of them, and when my old company-provided one died, I chose to purchase a new one on my own - so over the last year or so, I have to say, Lion kinda disappointed me more than I wished to admit.

The basic changes didn't bother me - it broke Colloquy; they got rid of spaces, etc - but manageable stuff... what drove me crazy was the constant lockups and waiting - for no good reason, always waiting on this thing. Browsers locking up constantly (the separation of the two web browser processes seemed catastrophic); having to reload pages all the time... then just the general constant waiting and spinning color wheel - it was driving me nuts. I kinda envied the guys who held out and didn't bother to upgrade.

Honestly, given Apple's track record, I was kinda worried that new software would only run worse - masked by their new model of SSD drives and more memory and faster processors and poor support for legacy devices... So I did some reading and found some good tech reviews on the new OS saying things actually seemed better. That, and I was just bored anyways... so I decided to give it a shot. I started the download and let it rip.

Now running on the new OS, at first glance not much looks different. A couple things are a little flashier and different... I had to update DropBox and a couple other apps, but after using this a bit today for browsing the web and some emailing, I have to say - it is SO much more responsive! Web Browsing is a whole new experience - back to smooth sailing like it used to be! The new safari is pretty clean, and at one point today, I carried on a single Messages conversation from my iPad to the MacBook to my iPhone - and the person on the other end had no idea.

So far, this looks like a great OS! If anything weird pops up, I'll post back - but for the performance increase and stability I'd say this is an upgrade worth doing - especially since it's just $20, and completely pain free.

If you want to see a really detailed report of everything that's different, check out this article... it was too long for me to read it all, but I skimmed through a few areas that I cared about: http://arstechnica.c...2/07/os-x-10-8/

Back