Outdoor Motion sensor location

beaumeri

Hi,

I can't decide where exactly to put the outdoor motion sensor so I'm asking for your tough. It's my first install after all..

Here's a link of 3 possible option

I have a porch that go along 2 side of the house. I can put the motion in way it would cover both side of the porch but would not cover driveway (Picture 1). That way I need a driveway sensor or an other motion to cover the driveway.

I can also put it so it cover the driveway and one side or the other. The second picture capture the side door and most of the driveway. I'm afraid it would also catch the street. The third show the front of the house and a side view of the driveway. This one would not catch the street but would not cover much of the driveway either.

https://plus.google....878763667002065

Any suggestion is welcome.

PS: I've used photosynth on my iphone to make the pictures. alignment are not perfect but give a better idea of the surrounding.. Sorry the picture where taken in the evening. I can take mote tomorrow in daylight if need be.

Depends on what it's being used for.

If it's being used for security, I'd go another route than PIR based. Far too many issues to address and get into. If for automation, there's a lot to toss around and mull.

In my experience with outdoor motion sensors, it's best not to have them pointed into infinity unless you're using it for very loose lighting or automation where a bunch of false's don't matter. If using for alerting or anything that would matter more, I prefer to control the field of view - like mounting on a pole/pillar facing a wall/corner, or something along those lines.

It'll be used for automation. I'll make sure it's not pointed to infinity...

Thanks for the guidance

I use motion sensors on the four sides of the house for lighting automation.
I also have some code to disable them for a period if there are too many falses in a short period of time.
You can also use them to trip camera recording.

It takes a bit of tailoring in terms of FOV aiming and sensitivity adjustment to get everything dialed in.

If you are close to a street or sidewalk, you don't want it pointing toward those areas.

I have a Optex LX-402. I bought it base on previous discussion on this forum. I guess I'll mount it to cover exclusively the porch and I'll buy others to cover the driver and other sides on the house.

Back