pc card for your camera

Kodicomm right now, not terribly excited about it, contemplating an AverMedia NV3000 or NV5000

I forgot, I spoke to Vitek support this afternoon. I asked how this camera works. I asked him if the camera can be directly connected to a television. He said, yes, but I will have to convert BNC to RCA connector which is not hard. That means, I can use Hauppage 150 capture card in MythTV. Many mythtv users are using hauppage 150 card to record video from the DirectTV RCA video out.

I will also search about the cards you've posted. Thanks.

that's how i actually test my runs - i have one of those tiny 13" Phillips TVs that I take.

I got a BNC->RCA adapter for $0.99 online when I bought some cable.

IVB said:
that's how i actually test my runs - i have one of those tiny 13" Phillips TVs that I take.

I got a BNC->RCA adapter for $0.99 online when I bought some cable.
that means, correct me if I'm wrong, that once the camera gets a power, it starts sending signal/video, am I correct?

IVB said:
Great!

Found out from the mythtv folks last night on IRC freenode that all I have to do is create a bogus channel and assign the input on the PVR-150 card in the mythtv-setup tool. Then, I can go to manual schedule menu and setup 7am to 6am for recording.

v1rtu0s1ty said:
Found out from the mythtv folks last night on IRC freenode that all I have to do is create a bogus channel and assign the input on the PVR-150 card in the mythtv-setup tool. Then, I can go to manual schedule menu and setup 7am to 6am for recording.
You don't have motion capture though? Is this for security? Checking non-stop video would be a major pain.

Vaughn

Do the AverMedia capture cards and software serve video over IP? If not, can the AverMedia cards be used with 3rd party software to achieve this?

I'd like to use this with the Elk TS-07 which supports IP cameras. I don't think I'll be recording video, I just want to be able to "see who's at the front door."

Thanks,
Stacy

The NV5000 kit comes with a web server, and also a PDA viewer, so it's definitely IP enabled.

ver0776 said:
v1rtu0s1ty said:
You don't have motion capture though? Is this for security? Checking non-stop video would be a major pain.

Vaughn
Yeah, you're right, it's going to be a pain in the neck. Is that the reason why we have dedicated card for this purpose?

I guess I have to admit I was also a little confused with this thread to the end result desired.

If this is for security, why the fancy interface card? I found used ATI TV Wonder cards for cheap for around $25. I then use WebCamXP to stream live video on my network, then also incorporate motion detection with that same software. I even get thumbnail images of the captures so they are easy to review. There are a lot of other software solutions that will also employ these features.

I might be off base with this suggestion though as, like I stated before, I'm not really sure of your overall purpose and desired features.

Also using a Kodicomm card with the Kodicomm Diginet software. Has 8 inputs and uses hardware capture so it only puts a light load on your CPU even with 8 cameras recording at 30 FPS, 640x480.

BraveSirRobbin said:
I guess I have to admit I was also a little confused with this thread to the end result desired.

If this is for security, why the fancy interface card? I found used ATI TV Wonder cards for cheap for around $25. I then use WebCamXP to stream live video on my network, then also incorporate motion detection with that same software. I even get thumbnail images of the captures so they are easy to review. There are a lot of other software solutions that will also employ these features.

I might be off base with this suggestion though as, like I stated before, I'm not really sure of your overall purpose and desired features.
Hi BSR,

I'm interested in the detection mechanism on the software. Am I correct that if there is no activity, it doesn't record it? This is good because we don't have to put a motion sensor outside the house, it's all on the software.

Thanks,

Neil

Hi Neil;

You are correct, the software triggers on motion detection. There are lots of options also like creating thumbnails (which will show an a web page), taking snapshots for x number of seconds on a motion detection, a bunch of settings for sensitivity of the video change and area of the video that will be detected, send emails on detection, FTP upload the image somewhere on detection, record a video segment, etc...

The new version of WebCamXP will support IP cameras as well as various capture cards. They are even working on a version that will support various pan and tilts (no not the ninja though).

Support is terrible and the staff and forums are, well "childish", but I can't argue the software performance and stability.

There are a bunch of other options as well listed HERE. Some even cheaper than what I suggested. Most even have free trial periods.

So if all you want is security applications, I would just get a cheapy capture card, download some trial software, and play around a bit before spending making a large investment.

But, like I said, I may not be understanding your project's entire "scope"! B)

Regards,

BSR

Back