Philips RC9800I/17

jpkishere

Well, I took the plunge and bought a new Universal Remote..

With my new MCE machine, sony receiver, sci atlanta 8100 dvr, etc. having 5 remotes floating around just doesn't cut it..

If anyone is interested I picked it up for 267.49 shipped to my door.. Philips.com is running a special $100 bucks off plus free shipping.. Here is LINK if anyone is intersted (through techbargains.com)

Anybody have an opinions on this remote? (good only).. Just kidding I can always cancel/return it..

FWIW: I had bought Harmoney SST-768 awhile ago and hated it -- didn't work well with my DVR, etc.. So I am hoping this will be alot better..

It has a certain kewl factor to since it has a touchscreen, and you can stream MP3s to it as well.. :(

If I am reading things right, you are able to use this remote with the wifi upgrade to browse the net. If that is possible could you use it to control the M1 connected to a M1-EXP? Could you also view network connected cameras?

betrickey said:
If I am reading things right, you are able to use this remote with the wifi upgrade to browse the net. If that is possible could you use it to control the M1 connected to a M1-EXP? Could you also view network connected cameras?
I know it is wifi enabled but I don't think it has a browser for internet built in -- I could be wrong and can verify when I get it..

Just ordered the RC9800i from Philips Store - $262.49 after $100 discount and plus tax.

Went to Philips Store to check on my RC9800i order.

Error

An unexpected error has occured.
We're sorry for the inconvenience, but an unexpected error has occurred. Please, go back and try again. If you have received this error repeatedly please close your browser and try again.

I assume when they say that an "unexpected error has occured" that there are errors that they expect to occur. You would think that a company the size of Philips could get their web site working correctly.

Notice also that the word "occured" is misspelled. It should be "occurred". Sad. Doesn't Philips know how to use a spell checker?

I just went to try and get tracking info on mine, and got the same thing -- hopefully a fix is in the works..

It did however say Shipped, so that is hopeful...

MRL any comments on how it is working?

So far, I only have complaints - looks kool but not much else..

I would consider my setup to be pretty modest, yet I am having simple issues like switching sources, etc..

It doesn't seem to work well with my Scientific Atlanta HD8300 Cable box - it treats it like a cable box, then I have to switch over to PVR mode and that barely works..

Wondering your take on it? I will give it some time this weekend, but if things don't improve, I will be returning it..

:)

MRL any comments on how it is working?
Very disappointed. I have the Pronto TSU-3000 and was hoping for similar functionality. I have problems with my Comcast cable box / PVR. I need to control multiple devices depending on the activity. No way to do what I want to do on this device. Functionality way too limited. What were they thinking when they engineered this device?
The RC9800i is to simplistic. I will stay with my Pronto TSU-3000 for now. I should have realized that when there was no mention of programmability that the RC9800i was not going to be like the Prontos.
I guess the Philips store has a return policy. I certainly do not want this device.

Called the Philips store to get an RMA number. RC9800I is on its way back. What a dud!

I guess I will be making a phone call monday AM to get this returned.. Very disappointed..

Any one have any suggestions for a better remote that works?

I have a somewhat simple setup I would believe..

Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR
Samsung 50" DLP TV
Sony Receiver (older model)
Media Center Edition PC

That's it..

The big thing I haven't found is the ability to control the DVR..

jpkishere said:
I guess I will be making a phone call monday AM to get this returned.. Very disappointed..

Any one have any suggestions for a better remote that works?

I have a somewhat simple setup I would believe..

Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR
Samsung 50" DLP TV
Sony Receiver (older model)
Media Center Edition PC

That's it..

The big thing I haven't found is the ability to control the DVR..
The SA8300HD is actually easier to control then the Media Center PC is going to be. I have the same cable box and have used it in the set-up for all of the reviews posted on my site (sorry for the plug... I just want to re-assure you that controlling the SA8300 is not too hard).

The best remote to control everything plus the Media Center may be the Universal Electronics NevoSL because of the WiFi capabilities but it is significantly more expensive then the RC9800i. Another, less expensive options would be any of the Logitech Harmony remotes (which support "activities" instead of Macros).

There are several other remotes to choose from and just about all of the models from URC and Philips will be able to handle the job depending on how much control you want of the Media Center.

So I ended up ordering the Harmony 890 series and so far so good.. The buttons are a little clunky to work with but I like it so far.. I got it for a realllly good price so we will see..

the 890 also supports RF which is kinda neat and might prove beneficial..

the web way to configure it takes some getting used to, but when I called tech support for some questions they could easily look at my config, make some changes for me easily... so that was a plus for me..

Back