Please Read: Creating a database for CCTV cameras

electron

Administrator
Staff member
I'm starting a database (similar to the home automation software one) to start tracking cameras liked by members.  It's obviously impossible to add all cameras on the market, so I'm going to rely on users to help me add/maintain the database once it's up and running.  That said, I'll add a bunch to start with, but need to figure out what properties/columns we want to track.  Some fields I have in mind (including suggestions now):

• Manufacturer
  • Model
  • Website
  • MSRP
  • Network Conenctivity: Ethernet (wired), 802.11a,802.11b,802.11g,802.11n,802.11ac
  • Analog Connectivity: BNC, Composite, Terminals
  • Power (AC? DC?)
  • Power Consumption
  • PoE: 802.3af/802.3at/Propriatary
  • Sensitivity (in lux): color, black/white
  • IR Support: None,Built-In, Compatible with IR pods, IR-Cut Filter
  • Image Sensor: 1/2", 1/3", 1/4"
  • Sensor Parameters: AI, (Auto Iris) BLC, (Back Light Compensation) ATW, (Auto Trace White) MWB, (Manual White Balance) AWB, (Auto White Balance) SL, (Slow Shutter) AES, (Auto Electronic Shutter) AGC, (Auto Gain Control) MIR, (Mirror) Y/C (Luminance/Chromincance)
  • Resolution: color, black/white
  • Environmental Rating (e.g., IP66)
  • Lens
  • Optional Lenses Available: Tele, Wide, Other
  • I/O Options
  • IP Output Options: JPEG, MJPEG, RTSP
  • Integrated DVR
  • User Submitted Snapshots (really important!)
  • Audio: Microphone, Speaker
  • PTZ: Manual, Automatic, Digital
  • Alarm Notifications: External Signal, E-mail, VoIP/SIP, FTP
  • Temperature (Low)
  • Temperature (High)
  • VoIP/SIP
  • ONVIF
  • Zoom: Digital, Optical
If you guys can think of other properties, I'll add them.  I will split this thread into a new one if there is feedback.  Between all those properties, the ability to rate cameras and comment on them, I think we will finally be able to track which ones are worth the money.

Actually maybe no PoE or PoE standard or PoE propietary. 

The no name generic IP HD camera that I have been playing with has VOIP/SIP functions which appear to be common from the one vendor I was dealing with.  Must be popular there.

I am also now seeing digital and optical zoom on the lower priced generics lately. 

The OS on my generic IP HD camera does show these none functional features.

I would also put a couple of lines based on performance, such as lux, IR, AGC/ATW, etc.

The bulk of the cameras I see out on the market are dual voltage, 24VAC/12VDC, is single voltage/uncommon voltage choice that common out there in the cheapie world?

Great tips, I'm going to split this thread, since I don't want to derail this thread any further.

I have made some changes, and added some more parameters.  If there is anything in there which is useless or missing, let me know.

One variable I see popping up often is ONVIF compatibility, might want to track that one too.

From the ONVIF website:

ONVIF is an open industry forum for the development of a global standard for the interface of IP-based physical security products. 

ONVIF is committed to the adoption of IP in the security market. The ONVIF specification will ensure interoperability between products regardless of manufacturer. 

The cornerstones of ONVIF are:
spacer.gif

• Standardization of communication between IP-based physical security
  • Interoperability between IP-based physical security products regardless of manufacturer
  • Open to all companies and organizations
spacer.gif
The ONVIF specification defines a common protocol for the exchange of information between network video devices including automatic device discovery, video streaming and intelligence metadata.

http://www.onvif.org/

Database is online, now we just need to start adding data :)

Try clicking 'Add Camera' to see which fields are available.  I'll take care of the layout/looks once I am caught up with more critical stuff.

So this is pretty much turning into the ultimate camera+wiki database, this should be extremely useful if everyone posts some info about their cameras.  I only made a few of the fields required, so others can fill in missing data.

Just for giggles, you might want to consider a subtopic within your wiki that has IP encoder options, since those legacy installs (and plenty of new ones) were only wired for analog/RG cable and plenty of times people don't want to run new cabling. There's also the oddball area of IP over RG cable, since that is also coming into play with many installs we see where a migration path needs to be considered and many people forget about the miles of coax that already exist in some of these buildings.

Are you talking about HD-SDI, or something like the Axis Video Encoders?   I guess I could add a field which allows you to select the type of device (analog camera, ip camera, HD-SDI camera, ip encoder), since the other fields could be used for encoders etc.

Back