Please Read: Creating a database for CCTV cameras

Design of the software database is almost done (so many fields!), actually more excited about the software aspect, since there is so much great stuff out there.

Every post/records on this site can be rated, look at the stars towards the top right-hand side of the page.

Dan (electron) said:
Are you talking about HD-SDI, or something like the Axis Video Encoders?   I guess I could add a field which allows you to select the type of device (analog camera, ip camera, HD-SDI camera, ip encoder), since the other fields could be used for encoders etc.
In my case, I end up looking a lot at IP over coax options, as right now, the industry as a whole is on the cusp of really adopting these solutions. There are a few out of the box items that already support IP and IP over coax without adapters.

Encoders as a whole are more (IMHO) for people to migrate an existing analog camera to IP without replacing the existing unit or, in the case of a new install, allowing the installation of products that don't have a direct IP camera counterpart.

We, for example, have a lot of Verint, Axis and AD encoders and IP products out there. Will the common tinkerer look into these products, I can't say, but as more people start considering a NVR or hybrid platform going forward, it's going to become more prevalent, depending on the cost structure changing.

Do you have an example of the IP over Coax without adapter solutions? This sounds extremely interesting. Thanks for the feedback.

How is the database going? I only saw a handful of cameras on here. I hope people keep adding cameras. I am interested in finding out more.

A personal comment really... but I think it would be very useful if people could populate with both day and night time views if possible. I've got 2 cameras installed right now (will try to add info this week); one has IR LEDs the other does not. I actually bought the one w/o the IR LEDs first - with it's relatively low LUX rating I thought it would suffice in my front yard where a street lamp exists across the street from me. I need to spend some more time trying to adjust it (since moved it to my backyard) but I found the night time video to be un-useful.

drvnbysound said:
A personal comment really... but I think it would be very useful if people could populate with both day and night time views if possible.
With people in the scene if possible (better yet, able to see their faces).

BraveSirRobbin said:
With people in the scene if possible (better yet, able to see their faces).

Go for it... but I don't foresee putting my mug on there ;)

Personally, as long as I can see the native resolution and there are size representative items in the field of view, I'm happy enough to know roughly what to expect out of the camera. Enough to make a purchase anyway.

Am I missing something or does the feature list not indicate if the camera supports H.264 compression?  Now that I have half a dozen cameras (had 3 others but they died) I only want to use cameras that support compression especially if HD.

I am using Foscam because they are cheap and the quality is ok.  Seems 2 or 3 years and they kick the bucket.  But by then something better is out.  

I picked up the hardwired outdoor dome with 10X optical zoom for someone else and installed it.  Its ok during the day but does not do well at all in low light and no IR capability.  They didnt like it so its now hanging on the front of my house. Most of my cameras are acquired that way. 

Newer Foscam cameras seem to be trying to be more standardized (12 Vdc instead of the previous 5 Vdc, standard DC connector size, H.264 compression etc).

What is the life expectancy of a camera? It seems like most of the cheaper cameras last about 2-3 years outside. It seems that if like expectancy is so short, I assume spending more would ensure longer usable life out of camera?

Also, I had trouble finding the database. Can it be put in a better location so it is easier to find and reference?

Tks.

That's a great question. Good luck finding a good answer. I've seen inexpensive and expensive cameras last anywhere from 5 days to 5 years (until failure or replacement due to obsolence).

On the extreme side here of weather and damaging POE cable using one of my first test outdoor HD IP cams....major rainstorm with high winds (70MPH) did dampen my test camera. 

It had a glass front with a hole for the lens in the middle with a rubber like seal around the lens and glass to the all metal case.

The camera did quit working.  It became waterlogged.  I took it apart and dried it in the sunlight and it worked fine afterwards.

Another time a rabbit chewed my test POE cable.  (thinking it was a rabbit?).  It did burn up some as there were marks nearing the chewed up parts.

That didn't damage the POE switch nor did it damage the camera.  The camera just quit working as it had no power.

I also tested JTAGing a camera playing with the Boot rom; I really messed it up...bricked it and brought back somewhat but it was mostly disfunctional as I had to interupt the boot some to get it to boot correctly....(Foscam).  I do have another Foscam PT in the garage and its been running OK now for the last 2-3 years...I did learn how to manually throw it into a boot loop doing two things at once with it....camera can't deal with it...only way out is to power it down then back up again.

I did include some nightshots to encourage other folks to do the same.  I apologize for not being able to populate it more, been dealing with some health issues, and trying to catch up (yet again).

As for finding it, it's located under the Resources tab on top of the page.

Back