Power adapter for Axis 2400+ video server

Do you have any way of looking at the camera directly?

Yep,  I just went outside and I can directly view the camera which is about 12 feet off the ground.  I can see the "red" camera IR illumination at night.

Also, the camera IR does work with my Dahua DVR.

I'll have to check my DVR, TV's etc for a NTSC color bar generator.

Curious what you see when you turn the server camera image to black and white?

Guessing here that if everything except for the Axis 2400+ server is working then it's some hardware or connection issue with your Axis server.  

Could even be that the little BNC connectors on the server.  I have with the power off used a pin on the BNC side to make the connection a bit tighter.

Here even with sometimes new BNC to RG6 connectors I can jiggle them and the picture gets mangeled. 

The oldest outdoor cams I have use crimps on the camera end of the coaxial cable which is a PITA and not really plug n play.  That said they haven't been touched in 10 years and work just fine.

I had a similiar issue with my 8 port octopus style cable on the analog capture card on the ZM box a few years back and went to using the BNC to Cat5e baluns and not touching or moving the connections.

Yup; personally thinking the Axis 2400 + is toast (I have neve seen one like this though) or the BNC / RG6 on the server connectors are loosey goosey.

Curious what you see when you turn the server camera image to black and white?
The Color image will only show a green hose as green everything else is like a fuzzy grey.  Changing to Black/white, the image displays the green hose as a fuzzy grey.

The connection on the rear of the video server is really tight.  So, I don't think it's a connection issue.

Yea,  I also think this 2400+ is toast.

The connection on the rear of the video server is really tight.  So, I don't think it's a connection issue.

The twist and turn of a BNC connector is always tight.

Yeah but look at the actual pin in socket connection on the BNC / RG6 converter.  Jiggle it or look to see if the female pieces are bent out using a magnifying glass.  Well too just connect one port to a standard video out signal with a color bar (or any video output) as Del mentions above with a new BNC coupler.  Try a paperclip to the center lead and use aligator clips to the ground of the BNC connector while concurrently looking at the IP output live.

I just purchased a Axis 2400+ Video Server from eBay.

Relating to the granular check.... 

If it not related to a loose connection then the Axis 2400+ server was sold to you defective and I would pursue a return of the product or exchange with the seller of a working product.  That said if the seller verbiage stated as is and not tested then you are sol.

Used a magnifying glass to inspect the all connections. I couldn't see any issues.  Tried a second known good camera and had the same issues.

I purchased it from a vendor in Israel and sent him a request to return the product.  I have to pay return shipping

EDIT:.  When I initially received the unit, I had to flip up the dip switches in order to display camera video.  The switches were in the down position which just caused a black screen.  I'm thinking that maybe the poor video quality has something to do with the DIP switches

I wonder if perhaps the problems you are seeing are due to a bad AC adapter that isn't quite able to deliver all the power the 2400+ requires.   Before you pack it up and send it back, it might be worth trying a different adapter, preferably a different brand/model from the one you bought.

From the manual, it looks like the 2400+ can take either AC or DC as an input, so even a 12VDC 1A wall wart would do.

....sent him a request to return the product.  I have to pay return shipping

Open a case with Ebay...start with a polite dialog with seller about a return / total refund of product/shipping.  Keep the case open until you are a happy camper.  It will benefit the you the buyer and mostly the vendor. 

Personally this has worked for me...well typically start slow making my point. 

I slowly increase my crescendo relating to my dialog with the vendor/Ebay if I have an issue; then if they are deaf to my concerns...I get caustic...works for me.

Just thought of something since this came from overseas...maybe an issue of PAL vs NTSC. Voltage sag or improper levels also are good for all sorts of phantom issues.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Source of the problem was the DIP switches.  When I received the unit, the DIP switches were in the down position.   Attaching a known good camera to any of the four video inputs would only display a black screen.  So, I moved all the DIP switches to the up position and this gave me the really poor video feed.  I assumed that the up position was the correct position since I at least had a video feed.  But no amount of tweaking would improve the image.  So, as a last ditch effort before returning the unit, I moved the switches back to the down position and this gave me a really good image.  I can only assume that the DIP switches weren't completely in the down position which caused the problem.

Thanx all for the input.

Back