Power monitoring WITHOUT switching?

wkearney99

Does anyone make a monitoring-only device?  One without any switching?

I'd love to have a way to monitor the activity of a sump pump but without doing anything that interferes with how it's powered.  To basically let me track how often it cycles, and for how long.  A pump running too often is a problem.  Likewise running too long or too short.  

Sure, I could use any of the power monitoring gizmos that clamp around the power leads, but that's going to require altering the wiring.  I'd love to have an in-line plug that had NO WAY of altering the power state.  I don't want to have some gizmo get into the wrong state and leave a sump pump un-powered.  I don't want anything 'rigged up' that could potentially interfere with insurance coverage.

I saw that the Kill A Watt folks made a wireless unit, but there's no mention of it any longer on their website. That and there didn't seem to be any official info on the protocol used.

Anyone seen something that would do this as a modular plug-in unit?

I suppose one option would be to crack open a switched unit and remove whatever controls the switching, to fix it in the ON position.

If I went that route, any info on which units would be able to do pump monitoring effectively?

I’m guessing you’re aware but to help if not, they make those clamp sensors that I believe you can open the clamp and slide it around the wiring (i.e. you don’t have to run the wires through a closed donut). Maybe you mean that would alter the wiring by requiring additional leads to be run to the sensor? And of course the wiring would need to be accessible somewhere.

IIRC the kill a watt device had some limits on what you could run through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, I'm aware of the clamp-around kind.  I just want one in a plug-in or in-line form-factor.  One that can be hard mounted in such a way as to not risk potential for being unplugged.

I have more than one sump pump, which I believe are all on the same circuit at the breaker panel.  Thus I can't monitor from there, at least not in the way I'd like.  If there was one breaker per pump... maybe monitoring there would work.  I'll have to double-check the circuits. 

That leads to the next series of questions about what kind of monitoring data can be obtained, and with how much gerry-rigging multiple pieces of software?

Right. Well OK then you know that with a $20 bill, some wire, a screwdriver and a true-boat-Captain’s approach you have an easy solution. Lacking any of those then IDK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are quite a few current transformers that are small and can easily fit inside the junction box that contains the outlet that you plug your sump pump into.  Yeah, you've got to modify the wiring to the extent that you'll need to disconnect the wire to the receptacle, pass it though the transformer and then reconnect it.  But that's a pretty painless thing to do.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Veris-Industries-Hawkeye-H800-Solid-Core-Go-No-Current-Sensing-Switch/173883454368

https://www.veris.com/docs/Installs/h800_i0g2.pdf

Or use something like a WeMo Insight Switch. Might not be as flexible as you want to integrate with whatever, but it will tell you how much your pump is running.

RAL said:
Yeah, you've got to modify the wiring to the extent that you'll need to disconnect the wire to the receptacle, pass it though the transformer and then reconnect it.  But that's a pretty painless thing to do.

Or use something like a WeMo Insight Switch. Might not be as flexible as you want to integrate with whatever, but it will tell you how much your pump is running.

Wemo devices are terrible.  So, that's a hard no.  

My concern is for something like a sump pump, whose failure would likely lead to insurance claims, is not to do anything to change the flow of power to the unit.  Nothing that's not code.  I know lots of things CAN be done, but I've witnessed what water damage can do (next door neighbor and pipes freezing).  I have absolutely zero desire to have anything set up that might, in any way, interfere with damage claims.  Oh, sure, I get that such concerns are largely unfounded, but this is one area where I'm not willing to try my luck.

A side note on altering the wiring, the outlets for these are embedded in walls that have spray foam insulation.  Thus they're not easy to alter.

So I'll track down the breakers (which I should know already anyway) and see if they're separate.  With luck they will be and that'll give me a less problematic point for monitoring them.

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but Pete just started a thread on a new monitoring plug that he is "hacking" to run a modified firmware. The Tinkerman site he links to in the thread is pretty interesting.  I think the overall solution would work for you, the question is if it is worth the time and effort. Hopefully Pete can give you some insight into the process. http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/31891-diy-firmware-upgrade-to-itead-s31-smart-socket-switch/

Heck, the OEM plug might provide you enough of what you are looking for to work without changing the firmware. https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-s31.html

Yes here my sump pump / ejection pump are on two circuit breakers that are 15 AMPs. 
Thinking that is a standard thing to do with Sump pumps. I have only had one fail in the last 30 years or so.

@Bill; if you want to send me one here will firmware upgrade it for you with Espurna firmware and send it to you. It is a one time thing to upgrade.

The SonOff S31 (heavy) is rated at 16AMPs.  I am modding it tomorrow with Espurna firmware.  It is $18.99 with one day delivery from Amazon.

You can utilize it passively.  It really takes only about 5 minutes to update after soldering a RX/TX/Ground/VCC pins to it.

Here is the Espurna GUI image from the Tinkerman web site blog.

espurna-s31.jpg

Back