Prewiring: Share your tips and tricks!

Oh, yeah, I ran into a couple of cases where there were multiple windows together and the framers had a set of about 6 or so 2x4's (cripples) under the window. My bits were not long enough to go through these, but luckily I was able to catch the electrician and have them use their long bit to add some holes for me in these locations.

It sounds like you have good electricians, so I bet they could help you out if you notice any locations like this.

gk

I'll second the auger bit over the spade bit tip ... much much quicker - just be careful it doesn't pull through too fast and hit something! I picked up a cheap right angle drill $20 on sale that did the job fine. It might not stand up to years of abuse on a construction site, but I don't regret skipping the $160 one. Other than that a 18V cordless Dewalt drill was the best investment I made. After knocking it off the top of a step ladder onto a concrete floor over a dozen times I appreciate the quality.

As far deciding which end of the run to pull from, I found towards the end of pulling wires that the wiring closet end was getting very crowded. This lead to more friction pulling new runs and the possibility of snags. It was safer to pull towards the wiring closet to reduce the amount of wire that had to go through all the added clutter.

I don't know if it is a code issue in your jurisdiction but you may have to foam/caulk all the holes you drill between floors for fire stopping. Foam may be more expensive, but it is much nicer to work with than acoustic sealant.

One post above mentioned he used the color red on his cat6 wire. You might want to check with your electrician. I thought that red wire was only to be used to identify SMOKE and FIRE DETECTORS. This vary's with each local, so check if you plan to use RED.

Thanks for all the tips, gregking (and others)....the links to actual pics/descriptions help. those labels look like a great idea. I thought that's what an auger bit was, but it's good to reconfirm (instead of just walking into Lowes and asking for one). I'm not sure exactly what a right angle drill is yet, but I'm sure it'll become clear.

I might try to collect all these little bits of wisdom and keep them on the front post, for my own reference and others who take up this same subject.

I agree with checking with colors of wires. Also, as mentioned above, using different colors helps route various cable types. For instance we used yellow for single pair 22 gauge, green for two pair 22 gauge, blue for Cat5e, and of course black for coax. Helped separate the wiring bundles in the closet home run location.

BTW, I highly recommend the auger bit that I linked to. I needed a larger one (1") and decided to buy a set of 3 for ~$12 which was the same price as the single Irwin one. It wasn't nearly as good and burned up. In the end, I still had to buy the Irwin one.

gk

Thanks for all the tips, gregking (and others)....the links to actual pics/descriptions help. those labels look like a great idea. I thought that's what an auger bit was, but it's good to reconfirm (instead of just walking into Lowes and asking for one). I'm not sure exactly what a right angle drill is yet, but I'm sure it'll become clear.

I might try to collect all these little bits of wisdom and keep them on the front post, for my own reference and others who take up this same subject.

I only use "speed bags" and pull boxes, I don't buy anything on an actual spool anymore.
Yea, I usually use pull boxes as well. The only thing that I got that was spool only was 14/4 speaker wire. Rob: If you order from keystone I think everything is available in boxes or bags. The only thing is I got RG6 in a box and there were a few places where it was kinked a bit and took a little tug to come out of the box, but I never had any issues with their Cat5 or 22/2/4.

I'm definitely ordering from keystone...soon as I can finalize the numbers.

soooo....if I have a choice between box (which I'm familiar with) or bag (which I've never heard of), which should I ask for?

As mentioned by others, get a decent drill, but more importantly use auger bits like this

Get 2 or three different sizes, like 1", 5/8", 3/8". These cut like butter and leave a much smoother hole than spade bits.

You may want to pick up one spade bit, 5/8" or so.

I agree that a right angle drill is nice to have, but it is not absolutely required and if you don't think you'll need it after you're done, a standard drill will suffice.

gk
I'll second the use of auger bits over "traditional" spade bits, and not just because I work for the parent company of IRWIN :). Look for a set of
these on Amazon or your local big box home center, but use a slow speed - the screw tip pulls the bit through the wood in a hurry!

Also, if you don't want to buy a specialized right-angle drill, get a right-angle adapter head, like this one. I have a similar one that lets you adjust the angle and it's invaluable in tight spaces.

- Kerry

soooo....if I have a choice between box (which I'm familiar with) or bag (which I've never heard of), which should I ask for?
Well I think the Cat5 is only available in boxes, I usually just use them but its really personal preference. I had trouble a while ago with tangling with bags but I understand these new wraps work much better. Some people swear by the new speed bags. WayneW got some 22 ga in bags from Keystone earlier this year - Wayne - any comments between bags and box from Keystone?

Also, if you don't want to buy a specialized right-angle drill, get a right-angle adapter head, like this one. I have a similar one that lets you adjust the angle and it's invaluable in tight spaces.

Oh, neat. Ya, i'd much rather have a cheaper adapter and get a regular drill I'll use the rest of my life than get a specialized tool for this job. I'll check Lowes and see if they have it, and if not, I'll have to order that soon to make sure it gets here in time.

...I don't know if it is a code issue in your jurisdiction but you may have to foam/caulk all the holes you drill between floors for fire stopping. Foam may be more expensive, but it is much nicer to work with than acoustic sealant.

In my area, that means the attic too.

WayneW got some 22 ga in bags from Keystone earlier this year - Wayne - any comments between bags and box from Keystone?
The clear bags allow the pretty colors to show through while they all sit in my garage. The boxes look so dreary and similar.

Seriously, I think that for serious usage of large quantity, it probably doesn't matter, but I don't have that experience. For a DIYer that may pull some now and some in 6-12 months, the box probably survives storage better.

What is Keystone's website? Or is that a user here on the forums (searched and didn't find anyone under that name)....

Thanks

Back