Property Instrusion

Independant Pete,

Is there any HA even available at this site ? My wgl800 will pick up a ds10 or ms13 about 100 feet from the house.

Maybe the next best thing would be one of those really cheap Wal-Mart type door/window alarms that lets out a deafening piercing high db sound when the contacts are broken. Likely only $2 or $3.

When they tip it over or disturb it the alarm will sound then he can send out the rotweillers !

Check with your local lockshop guy too. They may have something better.

Neil

No existing HA in the house. I'm thinking it would be cheaper to add a few Hawkeyes and a receiver than to get the $160 IR beams. Just concerned that a cheap receiver will not have the range. A WGL800 starts to bring up the cost and complexity. Went to Home Depot yesterday and they had nothing. Will try some other sources too.

independentpete said:
No existing HA in the house. I'm thinking it would be cheaper to add a few Hawkeyes and a receiver than to get the $160 IR beams. Just concerned that a cheap receiver will not have the range. A WGL800 starts to bring up the cost and complexity. Went to Home Depot yesterday and they had nothing. Will try some other sources too.
Plant a TM751 on a stake outlet in the middle of the yard, or in with the display, antenna pointed down, unit sealed in a plastic bag for weatherproofing. Add an 18" piece of wire coathanger behind the Eagle Eye detectors as a passive repeater antenna. Floodlights can be plugged into the same power strip as the display and controlled with a couple of lamp modules. This is a temporary, seasonal installation, so don't make it more difficult (or expensive) than it needs to be!

I found that setting up stuff for other people is a real pain because they don't want to tolerate the tweaking needed to perfect the setup. So I would recommend keeping it really simple and cheap, and save the fancy stuff for yourself.
Eagle eye motion sensor facing inward towards the yard (maybe attached to the corner tree), and an x10 receiver are the way to go. They're cheap and available from radioshack. Use electrical tape over the sensor to block off areas you don't want the motion detector to sense Put the receiver inside near the window closest to the motion sensor . The most basic receiver makes a loud "click" noise when its code is activated. this click alone is loud enough to alert him. he could plug a radio directly into it if he wants. Extremely cheap, fairly reliable. It will turn off any light that it turns on after a minute which is a nice feature too.

hgupta1 said:
I found that setting up stuff for other people is a real pain because they don't want to tolerate the tweaking needed to perfect the setup.
Yup... Decided to start off simple and inexpensive. I was over there the other day and brought over one of my EagleEyes and spare TM751. Connected it to a lamp and it worked fine. Told him that he can connect a radio or whatever he wants to it. That seems like the route we'll take. Just have a little concern about falling snow triggering the EagleEye all night long - until it's totally covered with snow, that is... :rolleyes:

For some reason i thought that Eagle Eye motion detectors are triggered by warm objects moving. maybe I made that up in my head. So tree branches and falling leaves, rain and snow don't set off the detector, but a squirrel that runs right past the detector would set it. Can anyone verify this?

Snow won't trigger these sensors, I have 2 of them outside, and already went through a few feet of snow this year :rolleyes:

fitzpatri8 said:
Plant a TM751 on a stake outlet in the middle of the yard, or in with the display, antenna pointed down, unit sealed in a plastic bag for weatherproofing. Add an 18" piece of wire coathanger behind the Eagle Eye detectors as a passive repeater antenna.
Sorry to bring up an old post, but does does the passive antenna made out of coathanger really work?

Back