Purchased First Home! Finally!!!!

It's getting there hehehe, yea the insurance has the value of all the stuff in the home, as well as I will be sending photo's of each room as completed.

The next step is automating the sprinklers. I have never dealt with that yet, as this is my "first yard" to have to water hehehe. It is almost out of necessity, as we are in sever water restrictions here, and the fines are heavy! It has to be done on certain days and times based on if your house is odd or even numbered. Currently there is a manual valve with a lever type handle to turn them on/off. I am going to do some research, but any tips to get me started are certainly appreciated.

Well, its been almost 2 weeks since getting in the new place. At least the main room is set up now and functional. I have around 500 of my movies ripped to the hard drive. The dedicated Media Center / Home Seer machine is tucked away behind the entertainment center, and has a small fan blowing cool air into the confined space. Motherboard Monitor reports temperatures well within tolerance.

One thing I didn't mention, as of yet, it is a manufactured home. Not really what my dream home was to begin with, but it's a start at least. It is just shy of 2,000 Square Ft of living space. Its a 3 bedroom, with 2 of the bedrooms being huge! One is 28 x 13 and the other is 28 x 14. The 3rd bedroom is smaller at 14' x 12', which is still a decent size. It was built in 2003, and is built to the same hurricane specifications as a standard site built home. In fact this home survived hurricane Wilma a couple years ago, that took the complete roof of of a good friend of mines town house.

The floors in the Living room, Kitchen, Dining Room & Breakfast nook are all real hardwood, and not laminate. That was a major plus when I looked at it! There is even around 30 extra planks in the shed if something happens and I have to replace a plank here or there.

I found this through a friend when the foreclosure papers were started. I went to the office and spoke with them, before it was placed on the market. I purchased it for $32,000, and it is appraised in this area at around $75,000. For anything other than a manufactured home, in the Palm Beach County area, with the same square footage, would run around the $300,000 range!

One major advantage so far has been the raised floor. The crawl space underneath is ideal for running wire from room to room for Cat5 and such, and was able to run the surround sound speakers to the back of the living room like that. There was an existing CD Player / AM/FM / Intercom built into the wall in between the kitchen and the living room. Speaker wires from it, are already are ran to each room :blink: :D :) ! I am going to rip that system out, and place the touch screen in that location, as it is like 4 feet from the Media Center / Home Seer machine.

What is anyone best advice on how to run the monitor, as far as still being able to use the Media Center PC portion on the TV, and the Home Seer screens on the touch screen? Dual GFX cards, Extended desktop ect? I do not want to run into the hassles of having programs pop up on the wrong screen ect. I have never tried to run 2 totally different displays of of a single computer before, so any tips are greatly appreciated! Oh, the existing GFX card in the machine has dual DVI's out. I am running one to the TV, and the other I will use the VGA converter that came with to go from the DVI to a standard VGA cable for the touch screen.

Here is a photo of the living room and media center setup in it's current state. There is still quite a bit to do, but it's getting there! (The coffee table arrived with a huge crack in the top of it, so only the matching end tables are set up ect. I know how everyone loves photo's, so I figured I would post one to get started, and update as necessary :)

johnwpbhomeon3.jpg

The photo is a compilation of 8 separate images aligned in Photoshop, and auto blended. If you havent used that feature in Photoshop CS2, it is an amazing tool!
The downside of this is it makes everything look so small! You would never know that the main sofa is 8' long, and that the TV is a 65" Rear Projection! The size of the living room is 21' x 14'.

And YES, the Ceiling fan, and other lights in the living room are the first things in the house to be automated, and are all set up. The other is a motion sensor that turns on the light above the stove, if you come down the hall in the dark towards the kitchen :) Gotta love the little Socket Rockets for little things like that :) More to be automated for sure as time goes on.

The house looks great already!!! Sounds like you got a great opurtunity there to make it your castle (fully automated of course).

Hey John,

Congrats on getting the new house!! This is SnyperBob from mp3car, I'm sure you remember me :p

I too have a new home that I'm trying to plan out how to automate. I have it a little easier since I have an unfinished level under one half of the house and a basement under the other half.

I was just wondering what all of your ideas are, and what kind of software and hardware you already bought and plan to use. What kind of screens are you using? Let me guess......7" Xenarcs or Lillis? haha.

Take care :p
-Bob

Hey John,

Congrats on getting the new house!! This is SnyperBob from mp3car, I'm sure you remember me :)

I too have a new home that I'm trying to plan out how to automate. I have it a little easier since I have an unfinished level under one half of the house and a basement under the other half.

I was just wondering what all of your ideas are, and what kind of software and hardware you already bought and plan to use. What kind of screens are you using? Let me guess......7" Xenarcs or Lillis? haha.

Take care :)
-Bob

Hey SnyperBob! Wow, small world!!!!

Currently I am using Home Seer, it is the best Home Automation software that I have personally found, as far as it's power and customization. You can use AutoIt scripts, as well as VBScripting to interface directly with Home Seer.

Something I have just started getting into is using Road Runner as the front end for my Home Automation as well. As you know, my DigitalFX skin has all the media, music, weather, and all that stuff done. It was really just a matter of adding the Automation screens. With HomeSeer's and Road Runner's COM interface, I was able to have full bi-directional communication between the 2 using AutoIt scripts / VB scripts. This enables controlling individual devices, or firing of events in HomeSeer. Using the DigitalFX skin, I just replaced the GPS button on the main menu with "Home Automation", as GPS is not all that useful in a stationary enviroment heheheh. However all of the other Road Runner stuff is still quite useful, such as, the scribble pad, Gas Price Finder, Weather, Calculator, Music & Video control, AM/FM/XM Radio control, Photo Viewer ect ect.....

Here is a very early sample screen capture. I have yet to add the status of the devices on the screen to show if a device is on or off or not. I do have this working, just haven't designed the graphics to show it yet :). Also the intent, is to add a button on each device, to do a pop-up menu screen, with a slider on the screen to dim/brighten the device if it is capable of dimming.
automationtesttr5.jpg

Currently all of the buttons on the screen do work. Currently the script just uses logic to determine if the light is on/off according to Home Seer. (If its off pressing it will turn it on ect...)
Again, this is just a very early test screen, just as a proof of concept to see if it was all going to work. As far as the buttons go, all that is needed in the skin for the screen, as part of the button code, is the X10 device code. This gets passed to a single script, that can then communicate with Home Seer to determine if it is a Lamp Module, Appliance Module ect, to determine the capabilities and such.

As for the hardware, I am using a couple different ways to control the system. I have a Fujitsu Tablet PC, as well as a Viewsonic Airpanel. I use the Airpanel to remote desktop into the server (Enabling concurrent Remote Desktop sessions in the registry). Also any PC in the house can access it through a web browser interface. None of this is finalized yet, and is a work in process, on how I am going to tie it all together. As I just purchased this house less than a month ago, there is still a lot to do :)

Hey John, have you figured out a way of interfacing that caller ID globe? I know some people were looking into it, but it looked like it wasn't going anywhere.

Hey John, have you figured out a way of interfacing that caller ID globe? I know some people were looking into it, but it looked like it wasn't going anywhere.

No, it is not interfaced. I have a caller ID modem on the HS Computer, so I really see no need to interface it.

The only thing I do is have it as part of the "Going to sleep" macro. As this globe is in my bedroom, when I issue the "Going To Sleep" macro, it turns it off (It's turned into an appliance module). This thing is really bright in a dark room when you are trying to sleep! I then have it set to turn on as part of the "Waking Up" macro. It can also be easily turned on when an incoming call is received on the first ring, and turned off 1 minute later to see who is calling. I have not done that, as I just have Home Seer announce the incoming calls, and do not have to be blinded when the phone rings hehehehe.

Cool! Looks great man. So you're pretty much just using all X10 hardware to interface with all of your devices? I really like how clean and simple everything is. Adding this with Road Runner is definately an easy to use system.

In regards to hardware, what kind of X10 stuff are you using? Are you using any other kind of hardware, other than the screen interfaces you talked about?

I'm just trying to get an idea as to how to start planning my system. I don't have a lot of money, so I'm thinking x10 modules are cheap and easy, and I can always add more when money permits :)

Are you using any kind of x10 line filters, etc..?

Back