Quad shielded or not?

Make sure you factor your time in the cost of doing the job. Run the QS. That way you won't have to do it twice. All of my DirecTV and CATV is QS.

If it is simply for CCTV of something it probably isn't an issue.

I find it helps to think of the cost in relation to the work involved in pulling it all out to upgrade in a few years :(

CCTV needs BC RG59 or or RG6 with 95%-110% copper briad. Same should be said for composite and component video. RG6 will work for most though.

I also advise future issues parallel with Cat5 as it can now carry just about any/every thing, it's pretty cheap and readily available too.

OK guys, I have another question to ask in regards to my RG6 Quad Shield BC (Bare Copper) and RG6 Quad Shield CCS (Copper Clad Steel) dilemma.

I'm looking at my previous bought and run RG6 Quad Shield and I can't determine if it's BC or CCS.

Can someone tell me if this is good to use for future satellite? This is what is printed directly on my cable:
VERTICAL E312655 RG6U QUAD 18AWG COAXIAL CABLE 3.0GHZ (UL) C(UL) CM/X/G FT4/CATV(UL)/CL2(UL)/AWM STYLE 1354 (VID:S2)

I don't know much about RG6 Quad Shield. I thought I did, until I went to buy more and now the guy I bought from sells BC or CCS quad shield cable. Is there an easy way to tell if my wire is bare copper? ie.....look at the tip of the bare wire and would the outside be a different color than the inside?

Basically I need to know if what I have listed above on the cable is good for satellite HD. I found this site that says it is, but I'm not even sure if it's the same stuff that I already have:
http://www.directron.com/ccr61kqsbxbk.html

F*CK!!! I just spoke to my wife. She took a look and said that the center if the wire is silver and the outside looks like copper on this stuff I have. (I'm color blind and can't tell myself).

So now what do I do? I ran about 3,000 feet of this chit all through my house. Is there a way to minimize the 'damage'?

This post: http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showto...ost&p=75672
Basically outlines that it's best to have bare copper wire (as opposed to CCS) for satellite applications. Currently I use cable TV, but I wanted to plan for a future satellite setup.

Should I abandon the runs to the attic that I did with CCS Quad shield and redo them with BC Quad shield? I still have access to do it all, so I need to figure this out now.....

Personally, yep, I would redo the runs. :lol: You will probably thank yourself in the long run.

OK guys, I have another question to ask in regards to my RG6 Quad Shield BC (Bare Copper) and RG6 Quad Shield CCS (Copper Clad Steel) dilemma.

I'm looking at my previous bought and run RG6 Quad Shield and I can't determine if it's BC or CCS.

Can someone tell me if this is good to use for future satellite? This is what is printed directly on my cable:
VERTICAL E312655 RG6U QUAD 18AWG COAXIAL CABLE 3.0GHZ (UL) C(UL) CM/X/G FT4/CATV(UL)/CL2(UL)/AWM STYLE 1354 (VID:S2)

I don't know much about RG6 Quad Shield. I thought I did, until I went to buy more and now the guy I bought from sells BC or CCS quad shield cable. Is there an easy way to tell if my wire is bare copper? ie.....look at the tip of the bare wire and would the outside be a different color than the inside?

Basically I need to know if what I have listed above on the cable is good for satellite HD. I found this site that says it is, but I'm not even sure if it's the same stuff that I already have:
http://www.directron.com/ccr61kqsbxbk.html

I don't know if it counts for much, but at least it was swept to 3GHz ... isn't this the measurement that really counts? The CCS I had looked at always seemed to max out at 2.2 (2.4?) GHz ... but maybe I just never came across this stuff.

You could always try asking your local satellite installers what they put in and how well it works.

Yes, I've mentioned in other threads to use cable swept to 3Ghz. As long as you are doing it use RG6 Solid Quad 3Ghz and you should be fine. Most DirecTv installers are contracted and may use different cables. I allowed them to install the dish but insisted on using my cable.

Yes, I've mentioned in other threads to use cable swept to 3Ghz. As long as you are doing it use RG6 Solid Quad 3Ghz and you should be fine. Most DirecTv installers are contracted and may use different cables. I allowed them to install the dish but insisted on using my cable.

Thanks guys. The cable I have is for 3GHz. Are you guys using CCS or BC cable for your setups?

Personally, yep, I would redo the runs. :lol: You will probably thank yourself in the long run.
I have a hard time suggesting that the OP pull out his runs of copper clad steel. If this was a high end video production studio, then I would suggest it, but for piped in PBS going to the guest room? Well, that just seems a little over the top. I suspect the OP will be fine with what he has. However, he might want to consider a couple of conduits if the walls are still open. In my house, I have two key runs of flexible conduit--Carlon Resi gard, the plastic orange stuff--in the walls coming in from the cable's point of entry, going to the central wiring panel, and then going to the main TV viewing area in the house. This way, if the technology changes substantially, I can at least repull the cable coming in from outside and going to the main TV in the house. Just a thought.

I have a hard time suggesting that the OP pull out his runs of copper clad steel. If this was a high end video production studio, then I would suggest it, but for piped in PBS going to the guest room? Well, that just seems a little over the top. I suspect the OP will be fine with what he has. However, he might want to consider a couple of conduits if the walls are still open. In my house, I have two key runs of flexible conduit--Carlon Resi gard, the plastic orange stuff--in the walls coming in from the cable's point of entry, going to the central wiring panel, and then going to the main TV viewing area in the house. This way, if the technology changes substantially, I can at least repull the cable coming in from outside and going to the main TV in the house. Just a thought.

Thanks for the input. That actually sounds like a good idea with the smurf tube. I don't think I'm going to redo or even buy BC RG6. I'll just stick with what I already have. This is just my first house and I really don't plan on staying here for a long time. I guess I'll cut my losses on what I did already, and live with it. Hell, by the time I can afford a nice TV with HD along with Satellite to drive it, I'll be able to afford another house, lol.

Thanks guys for the input, now it's time to get the whole-house music and security up and running....

The way I understand it, its simply a voltage drop issue and not related to the actual picture on bc vs ccs. that said, i surely wouldnt change out the cable especially to bedrooms and less significant parts of the home. might consider replacing just the main runs from the can to the dish if you are networking. otherwise maybe consider just the family room, masterbed or where the main tv is. ccs on short runs is irrelevant as there is no voltage drop. I am sure someone will correct me if I have misunderstood the application.

Back