Question on retrofitting a scene controller for lighting

A few of the lighting protocols, I'm thinking along the lines of RadioRA and ViziaRF, have master scene/zone controllers that don't control a local load. I'm curious how folks are installing these in their houses for retrofit installations.

I see a couple of options.

1. Remove the existing electrical box and install a box that is one gang bigger for the scene controller.

2. Keep the existing electrical box and install a new box that is above the existing electrical box for the scene controller.

3. Relocate the existing switch somewhere else and use the existing electrical box for the scene controller.

Also if anyone has pictures of number 2 I'd love to see them.

Thanks,
Josh

Hi Josh,

I've done your #1 & #3 scenarios.

Cutting out the existing box and adding one that's one gang larger is not too difficult. The electricians that work for me can do that and wire it back up in less than an hour.

Relocating the existing switch is easy in some cases, and takes a lot of work other times.

To add a #4 option. I've had a couple retrofit jobs where we've taken 2-3 gang switches and relocated them into nearby closets and then replaced the original 2-3 gang box with a single for the controller.

Have done this in kitchens, entry foyer, living room, etc. to remove the clutter of existing switches. This takes a lot more time and includes small to moderate wall patch & paint.

Cheers,
Paul

A few of the lighting protocols, I'm thinking along the lines of RadioRA and ViziaRF, have master scene/zone controllers that don't control a local load. I'm curious how folks are installing these in their houses for retrofit installations.

I see a couple of options.

1. Remove the existing electrical box and install a box that is one gang bigger for the scene controller.

2. Keep the existing electrical box and install a new box that is above the existing electrical box for the scene controller.

3. Relocate the existing switch somewhere else and use the existing electrical box for the scene controller.

Also if anyone has pictures of number 2 I'd love to see them.

Thanks,
Josh

I use Insteon, and use their KeypadLincs. I don't necessarily use them to create 'scenes' in all my rooms, but I use them to control other devices on my lighting network.

Since the KeypadLincs also allow local control, my initial intent was to simply replace the main light switch wherever I wanted a scene controller and use the KeypadLinc to control the main lights, plus the scenes.

However, I found that too inconsistent and unintuitive in my house, since not every room was going to get a KeypadLinc. I didn't like it. Instead, I went with your option #1 and ripped out the existing box, cut a larger hole, and install an 'old work' 2-gang box. Went easier than expected, and I'm proud to say no drywall repair or paint was required afterwards.. :(

In those 2-gang boxes I have installed a SwitchLinc paddle switch that controls the main light of each room (whether it's a lamp or a ceiling fixture). I installed the switch on the side closest to the room entrance. I installed KeypadLinc whcih controls secondary lights & scenes, on the side furthest from the entrance.

Here is a picture of one of mine:

http://www.mbdatasystems.com/pics/switches.jpg

I can't imagine a scene controller on top of an existing switch would look good, but who knows - would be nice to see a picture if someone has tried that.

I was thinking maybe UPB would be a pretty simple way to go. You can replace what you have with multibutton faceplated switches that you can program for scenic functions.

Button 1 can be entertainment or entry or whatever combination you want. As long as you also place receivers for lamps ,appliances,fireplace.etc.

I think PCS sells a six and eight button no load transmitter that works very well or the very flexible Simply Automated switches go from single to eight buttons also.

Also consider table top controllers..Hopefully my gibbering is helping......hopefully.

I was thinking maybe UPB would be a pretty simple way to go. You can replace what you have with multibutton faceplated switches that you can program for scenic functions.

Button 1 can be entertainment or entry or whatever combination you want. As long as you also place receivers for lamps ,appliances,fireplace.etc.

I tried that with my Insteon KeypadLincs as well. Was fine for me, but I found family members or visitors/cleaning people were confused when walking into a room. Some rooms had switches, other rooms had keypads. I found having a switch for the main light PLUS the keypad made for a more consistent and professional-looking install.

I use the US240 with a top rocker and 4 buttons on the bottom in every room. The top rocker carries the load so there is no need for an additional space in the box. this provides 4 scene control. You can also use the 8 button faceplate if you need additional controls. This is the only UPB solution the doesn't require an additional space in the box.

Dave

One on the methods we tell people to use when retrofitting controllers is to "break" up 3-ways. Place the switch that is going to control the 3-way on the load side and send the power/neutral over the travellers to the controller. If the Supply/Load are in different boxes send whatever is necessary to make it work over the travellers.

Back