Quick electrical question on DC dummy load

Sacarino

Morning all,

I have an older first gen XM radio in my car that I'm tired of coaxing to change channels, so I'm switching to a newer one that the wife just abandoned because her new car has XM built in. A long time ago, I plunked down 70 or so dollars for a box that both powered my radio and was a FM modulator directly to the antenna wire when it sensed the radio's load. I would like to continue using this box because a new one is 30+ dollars, the old one still works, and maybe I'm just feeling cheap today. :)

Here's my conundrum: old radio is 6v 1A, new radio is 5v 2A. I'm going by the fuse ratings on the two power supplies as I haven't been able to find any sort of current draw information for either radio and my current multimeter can only handle .5A... bummer. So, assuming that I simply cannot cheat and drop the voltage down (with something like a 1N4001 rectifier or a 7805 regulator) because the new radio is hungrier, I figured I would just run one of those 12v accessory outlet extensions to behind the dash and plug the stock DC power adapter for the new radio to step it from 12v down to 5v. However, in order to keep on using the FM modulator, I need to fool it with a dummy load so the modulation circuitry runs. I was fiddling around with some spare resistors and figured out that the sensing circuitry picks up the load somewhere around .5A... but my little 1/4W resistors get real hot real quick. :p

If I understand Ohm's law correctly, the maximum wattage on that 6v circuit at 1A is 6W - so if I were to use this Rat Shack 8-Ohm Non-Inductive Resistor (rated for 20W) as my dummy load, then it should not only limit my current to .75A (thus saving me from possibly blowing fuses) but also handle the heat generated from the 4.5W as a result. Is that correct logic? Or am I running the risk of melting something behind my dash if I try this? Should I wire 2 in parallel? Obviously I wouldn't bundle it in the middle of a rat's nest of wires, but there's only so much air for radiating heat back in there... also, I'm not worried about draining the car's battery since the magic modulator box is already on an accessory circuit.

Appreciate the insight!

I'm a software geek, so I like to make odd choices if I get a learning experience with circuitry out of it. :)

Well, that and I don't have wires all over my dash to plug into the front of the radio if I go this route.

You can split voltage between two things by putting a resistor in series with the other thing. The voltage presented to each item will be according to the ratio of the two resistances. So if you have 12v and two resistors in series of 1 ohm each, you will get 6v across each resistor (load). If you have one that is 1ohm and the other is 2 ohms, the potential across the 2 ohms will be 8v and the other 4v.

This may work for your application, however, it requires that both loads be continuously unchanged. The resistor will obviously always be whatever is written on it, but the other item may not.

Back