Somfy L50 and Spark Core

AtlanticSurfer

Hi All i tried to do a real detailed post with pictures and links but i was denied because i'm new.  So here is the edited version.

I'm pretty new to home automation. I've installed a Nest and an OpenSprinkler in my home, pretty basic stuff. But i'm now working on a prototype for an automated shade.

I'm trying to use a Spark Core (spark.io) and Relay shield to operate a Somfy L50 . I've successfully been able to turn on and off a lamp using my phone and the core/relay shield.

The green wire is ground (no problem, i get that). The white is the common.
When I send power to the white and black wire (from an outlet plug) the shade rolls up. Then when I switch up the wires and send power to the white and red wire the shade rolls down.
My question is how can I wire this to the relay board? I'm thinking one relay to go up (black wire) and one relay to go down (red wire). But i'm not sure how to handle the power/common wire.
Does anyone have suggestions on how i would need to wire this?
Thank you.

Specs on the relay board i'm using. it has four relays.

-----
The schematic for the relay shield is simple and self explanatory. The shield has four relays that are controlled by pins D0, D1, D2 and D3 on the Core. Each relay is triggered via a NPN transistor that takes a control signal from the core and switches the relay coil ON and OFF which in turn makes or breaks the electrical contact on the output. There is also a connected across the coil to help protect the transistor from high voltage transients caused during switching.
The relays are SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) type, which means they have three terminals at the output: COMMON (COMM), Normally Open (NO) and Normally Closed (NC). We can either connect the load in between the COMM and NO or COMM and NC terminals. When connected in between COMM and NO, the output remains open/disconnected when the relay is turned OFF and closes/connects when the relay is turned ON. In the later case, the output remains closed/connected when the relay is OFF and opens/disconnets when the relay is ON.

Specifications
  • Operating voltage: 7 to 15V DC
  • Current consumption: 150mA min to 290mA (at 9V DC)
  • Relay Max Voltage: 250V AC
  • Relay Max Current: 10Amp at 125V AC
  • Relay Part Number: JS1-5V-F 
  • Dimensions: 3.5 x 3.3
  • Weight: 100gms

Here is what I think you need to do after quickly reading this (be aware that I am only on my first cup of coffee).  Let's see if others concur before you wire this up though.

This scheme always leaves power attached to one of the wires (black/up or red/down).  IE, this is not a 'momentary' closure, so just make sure that methodology will work for your device.

This product has no instructions on how to do this?

motor_somfy.jpg

Also, make sure your don't exceed the 10 Amp, 125 VAC rating of the relays (though I doubt the motor draws anywhere near that much current).

I personally don't like to run AC voltage into my panel.  Just be aware that you have 'live' voltage in there, possibly on exposed terminal screws.  Just puts a skill factor when working in the panel that I don't like.

Also, make sure you have the recommended fuse between the power source and the 'C' relay connection.

BSR - I was thinking that I would use 2 relays, one to apply power to the black wire to raise the shade, and the other to apply power to the red wire to lower it.  The power source would be connected to the common of both relays.

As you point out, your method always leaves one wire energized.  Maybe it's not necessary to remove power when the shade has completed raising or lowering (does it stop automatically?), but I just don't like to leave things energized if I don't need to.

RAL said:
BSR - I was thinking that I would use 2 relays, one to apply power to the black wire to raise the shade, and the other to apply power to the red wire to lower it.  The power source would be connected to the common of both relays.

As you point out, your method always leaves one wire energized.  Maybe it's not necessary to remove power when the shade has completed raising or lowering (does it stop automatically?), but I just don't like to leave things energized if I don't need to.
Yes, good point and thanks for the post.  This would indeed be the alternate method if the device required only 'momentary' power for the controls that I mentioned above.

Back