Quick Update

electron

Administrator
Staff member
hey guys,

I really must apologize for the lack of (visible) activity on my end.

I recently changed jobs, which has had a major impact on everything, including time.

Spam has been a real issue (long story), but please keep reporting it, as multiple people are watching it, and usually pounce on it right away.  I did have to shut down new registrations this morning, but hopefully only on a temporary basis.  Some of the features are acting up as well, which will be addressed soon, one way or another.

I'm still trying to figure out an upgrade path for CocoonTech that doesn't create a huge upset, while also building new infrastructure.

For the die-hard forum users (not just CT), I'd love to hear your opinion about XenForo.  I've deployed a couple of sites with this software, and it just works, while their success hasn't ruined the company or the software.  Feature-wise, it's a close match (at least for the user, backend is a whole different story).

I also wanted to thank everyone (especially the old-timers!) for sticking around!

I'll try to post an update on a regular basis.

Thank you Dan!!

Do you have a recommendation relating to a web site utilizing XenForo?

I do not remember where you were at originally?  Was it Las Vegas?

Similar stuff occurred with a tech forum that I moderate a couple of years ago. 

Ended up shutting down registrations for a period of time and that worked for a bit.

Dan (electron) said:
hey guys,

I really must apologize for the lack of (visible) activity on my end.

I recently changed jobs, which has had a major impact on everything, including time.

Oh, good luck in the new job.

Dan (electron) said:
Spam has been a real issue (long story), but please keep reporting it, as multiple people are watching it, and usually pounce on it right away.  I did have to shut down new registrations this morning, but hopefully only on a temporary basis.  Some of the features are acting up as well, which will be addressed soon, one way or another.

I'll try to post an update on a regular basis.

Yes, I've been having 'fun' with these new spammers. This is some really nasty stuff. It almost sounds reall but it's just a little off.

Glad you don't mind my flagging.

Pete: AVforums.com comes to mind but I'd stick with the default theme. But googling will probably show you better examples. If i can find the time, I might try to set up a beta test site, and let you guys go to town on it.

linuxha: it's very interesting to see these evolve. It looks like they are copying content, from other sites in this category, so they're starting to look more legitimate.

Dan (electron) said:
Pete: AVforums.com comes to mind but I'd stick with the default theme. But googling will probably show you better examples. If i can find the time, I might try to set up a beta test site, and let you guys go to town on it.

Dan (electron) said:
linuxha: it's very interesting to see these evolve. It looks like they are copying content, from other sites in this category, so they're starting to look more legitimate.
I've wondered about that, if it's just copying then it's nothing interesting. Just annoying. If it's actual AI then it's scary. I've been seeing a lot more AI starting to meet some of the promise.

Back