RCS TR16 and RS232/485 converter

jeffx

Is there a less expensive alternative to connect my RCS TR16 controller to my PC other than the 485PB which is about $75?

Would something like this work?

It would probably work, but you can't say for sure until you try it. It depends on how that unit deals with enabling the data out signal.

Jeffx-

I used something like that for my RCS TR40 and TR16. I then connected the t-stats to a RCS 232/485 hub. I was running out of serial ports was the reason I changed to the HUB.

jeffx, I have a barely used RCS RS485 to RS232 hub that handles something like 8 thermos. Not using it anymore as I have things now tied to the ELK M1. Take $75 plus shipping for it as my recollection is that is was $110 or so new. Let me know if my recollection is out of synch and I will adjust.

Jeffx, I would bet that it would work.

Most RS232->RS485 adapters use Request-To-Send (RTS) to enable the RS485 driver. If RCS followed this convention, you should be fine.

Two notes:

This is a port-powered device, which means it will get it's power from the Data-Terminal-Ready (DTR) signal. If your software for the RCS uses DTR for something else, it could end up powering down the adapter.

Like many things on ebay, the specifications are not accurate. With respect to range, where it says 1.2 miles, it means 1.2 kilometers (4000 ft). Just in case your house is that big . . .

DavidL said:
jeffx, I have a barely used RCS RS485 to RS232 hub that handles something like 8 thermos. Not using it anymore as I have things now tied to the ELK M1. Take $75 plus shipping for it as my recollection is that is was $110 or so new. Let me know if my recollection is out of synch and I will adjust.
Do you have a model number on the device you have? I may be interested. Thx.

Jeffx-

That is the one that I am using. It works great. I did have the rs-232 communication chip go out. I think lightning did this when it hit my elk phone line :rolleyes:

I talked to RCS about troubleshooting it. And was told to remove one of the rs-485 chips on an unused port and replace the damaged rs-232 chip. Change a few jumpers, and presto

everything is now working. And it is rs-485 to the hub and to the t-stats

steve

AutomatedOutlet said:
The key is how many 485 devices are you connecting?
only connecting one TR16, probably adding a TR40 when we put on an addition 2-3 years from now.

From the picture of the 8 star hub, looks like I would also need some type of serial port adapter to get the connection to my PC?

Back