Recessed wireless door sensors

alexh

Hi,

I have purchased a M1 and I'm deciding on the wireless controller, leaning towards Honeywell since they seem to have so many sensors.

However, I'm reluctant to use the recessed door sensors (e.x 5818MNL) as they require a 0.75" x 3.0" depth hole be drilled into the jamb. Typically this hole will be very close to the edge of the studs. I know in practical terms this will not really weaken my framing but I would rather accomplish this with a smaller hole.

I was thinking to use the 5800Micra as it requires only 0.75" x 0.5" depth. I would have to drill an additional 5" deep hole to accommodate the antenna and could use a straw to feed it. The antenna exits the transmitter at the edge so the antenna hole should be offset. The magnet would also have to be recessed and unfortunately it's not round but that's OK as I could place it on the top of the door and/or putty around the magnet.

Does this sound reasonable or has anyone done this?

Thanks

Have you looked at these: http://ionsecurityproducts.com/plunger.html

I use the GE version, but they come in a few varieties, DSC, GE, HAI and 2GIG.

I really love these. They do make a version with a magnet, but these don't have one.  These mount on the hinge side of the door. They are about 0.75" x 0.5" plus the antenna.  If you get a 1/4" long drill that works for the antenna (with the straw) or many times I feed the antenna up or down if the frame allows. They have been very reliable.

I should add that i added one of these to each of my closets as well.  They don't trigger the alarm, but they turn on the light when I open the door and turn off the light when I close the door.

Its very likely ION makes them for Honeywell, but the problem may be getting it, because some lines are only sold to dealers. Unless you really have a reason to go with Honeywell, I might suggest GE instead. You can find these sensors everywhere. (If your a dealer, finding the sensors won't be a problem.)

The Micras and plungers are OEM'd for Honeywell.

Distribution can be worked around easily, the only difference is whether or not a 3rd party reseller can or would obtain them.

Personally, there's really not much difference in availability or cost with GE vs. Honeywell, but the variety is the key selling point for Honeywell.

Back