RedBee RFID

stacyh3

I just ran across this RFID reader and figured I'd share it with the group. I don't really know anything about RFID, but this looks pretty cool. It's a bit more than I want to spend to experiment, but it could be useful for someone out there with more knowledge and skill.

My application would be to put an RFID reader near my garage door so that we can open and close the garage door with a prox card/keyfob. We already have relays in place tied to our Elk M1G and open/close from our intranet web site.

RedBee RFID Reader
New OEM/Hobby RFID reader is available. Projects kit soon to follow!

Let me know what you think. Does this seem like a good device? What about the price? Group discount would be nice :).

Stacy

My personal opinion is that I don't really see this as being a secure application for home automation. If you can use the onboard I/O to trigger devices, then the device is open to tampering since it's a single board solution. However, it sounds like it needs a host application on a PC to work. That's more secure as the communication is then validated and the PC triggers your actions, but I think most would prefer something that is hardware only and interfaces directly to a home automation panel. With only USB and XBee communications (no RS232), interfacing to a HA panel will be a pain.

My personal opinion is that I don't really see this as being a secure application for home automation. If you can use the onboard I/O to trigger devices, then the device is open to tampering since it's a single board solution. However, it sounds like it needs a host application on a PC to work. That's more secure as the communication is then validated and the PC triggers your actions, but I think most would prefer something that is hardware only and interfaces directly to a home automation panel. With only USB and XBee communications (no RS232), interfacing to a HA panel will be a pain.

Sure. I see what you mean about the security aspects. I would not have this disable the alarm. I was also thinking that you wouldn't have physical access to the device. I don't know if it would work through the brick wall since it's best range is 4.5".

I guess I may have to go with a more expensive option for security, but are there cheaper options for experimentation?

Thanks,
Stacy

Cheaper options?? I guess it depends what you're trying to interface it with and what features you want. For anyone with an HAI system, I can't see you being able to roll your own as cheap and complete as the system they offer. My next round of upgrades will likely include their unit.

That Elk mini reader is a slick little unit and also cheap. It could probably be installed in a small project box to be mounted outside and then wired back to the keypad.

A while back played with some cheaper "import" RF-ID readers. They were being sold as "cheaperRFID" devices on the HS forum. I still have two receivers installed (with antennas). There were three different ranged transmitters (FOB style included). The read distance was such that I could read a vehicle in the driveway as it approached the garage. This methodology allowed for HA events. I put one in the dome light of one of the vehicles drawing a contant 12VDC. I did have problems though with false positives and therefore do not run events at this time.

A HW RFID only solution for FOB's (or cards) would be suggested if you want to play.

In the world of "work" I had an issue that I was trying to solve with card access readers but never really got it right. I had one location - we can call it a compound - where I was using card access readers for access and time keeping. One of the concerns were vehicle entry. The problem I had was that I wanted to automate it a bit more. I was already using a card access system for the gate but wanted to also add tags to the vehicles and I had issues.

Other DIY HA methods have been tried (using X10 Eagle Eye Motion detectors / DS10A's). I wouldn't use these for turning on and off the alarm but rather just running events associated with a vehicle going into the garage. These DIY methods are cheaper and they seem to work better.

This is a bit different though than a close proximity RFID reader.

Back