Removing concrete from car paint

pete_c

Guru
Recently wife got concrete on her automobile. Her vehicle color is black and the cement stains really are highlighted.

Initially here tried just buffing it off and it did not work.  Tried a few automobile cleaning solvents that did not work.

What did work in a little area was using a credit card to scrape it off which would take me a while on the three spots on her automobile roof. 

Googled it this morning and found the following.

You can soften the concrete with pure strength vinegar.  So trying that this morning.

Concrete leaves basic lime (calcium) stains in paint. Hopefull the vinegar will work. May have to soak it for some time.

Could try CLR or equiv. lime removal liquid. Test in obscure spot first. Don't get near any glass you have to see through.

Thank you Larry.  I've been reading that full strength vinegar will not mess with the paint.  Best was using a plastic credit card. 

Yes many years ago (1990's) wife got cement (lime) all over her 2 week old vehicle parking at her work parking lot which was multiple floors up.  There had been some cement work being done and this messed with just about every car in the parking lot which got a bunch of employees really PO'd.

At the time we brought the vehicle to a detail shop to clean it up.  It was the entire automobile that got covered (like many parked there).

This time it is only a few spots on her roof of the vehicle.  There has been much road construction in the area and personally I have avoided it as much as I can and told my wife to do similiar when driving around. 

pete_c said:
Gave up on the vinegar and bringing the car to a detail shop to remove and detail the vehicle.
I would be sure something may suck the lime absorbed out of the paint but the open pores probably will need to be buffed closed again after, anyway.

Thank you guys.  I have used a clay block before to remove a bit of paint overspray. 

The only part that looks OK was the section I removed with credit card scraping.  I can also scrape it off with my finger nail. 

Went to the local spray and wash this morning.  Sprayed the spots with vinegar and let it sit for a few minutes.  Then power sprayed the areas.  I could see the layers of cement coming off.

Thinking doing this a couple of more times and will be OK.  Now the spots are not white colored.  Still feeling a bit rough though.

Back