RF control of house lights or whatever via a car

rickgd

Hi All. Just wondering if there are any thoughts on implementing this process. I recently purchased a Mazda with a homelink feature. It is basically an integrated RF transmitter that can learn codes from various RF devices such as a garage door opener or a gate remote etc. Well I don't have a garage or a gate, but I'm thinking of using it to illuminate the walk way from my car to the house and also trigger some interior lights for safety/security. I use Elve as my HA controller and have setup most of my lighting using Z-Wave products (Leviton). Here is where Im stuck however...How to get the RF signal to trigger the Z-Wave lights. I suspect an RF Receiver would be the first step along with a remote to learn from. The receiver would then need to generate some signal that Elve could react to and then turn on the lights. I Think im on the right track but am not sure on how to best implement this. I am open to any Ideas you all may have...and thanks in advance for your input.

Just did a very quick search and found THIS.

You would then need a way of getting that contact closure to trigger something in your HA system.

Don't have a lot of time right now to look into details (will try to do so later).

If your going the contact closure route could you not just get a home link compatible retrofit garage door opener?

Wow! that's pretty close to perfect. Its even "home link compatible". I don't have any contact closure devices at this point so I would need something that will relay an event into Elve. once its in elve I should be able to sort it out.

I understand that homelink units in the car can be programmed to transmit RF X-10 commands. Once programmed, you could use the X-10 reciever and interface that with any number of compatible home automation systems. Unfortunately, X-10 devices are becoming harder to find.

It is harder to find, but there was once (a few years ago when I called) a "vehicle interface" or "homelink lighting kit" available from Johnson Controls. It was nothing more than an RF reciever which would retransmit X-10 commands over the powerline, with an X-10 plug-in module. That could also be easily adapted to a variety of home automation systems.

While I no longer use a lot of X-10, there are sometimes interesting devices not yet duplicated in other automation formats.

Krikee: Nice find on the Z-wave bridge.

That Z-Wave bridge seems like the best way to go for this particular application - and the price is great too.

If you had an automation panel (Elk or Omni) there are receivers that'll pick up the homelink code = wayne dalton makes a single channel one that's cheap that I wrote an article about a while back; I think Lou? found a multi-channel one which would be even more efficient; that can either hook to input zones on a panel, or UPB, Z-Wave, Insteon and X10 all have I/O modules that could pick up the contact closure generated by the receiver and be programmed to do whatever you want - but that'll end up costing more. Just good options if you're looking for other functions; in my case I have a wayne dalton single-channel receiver I need to hook back up to act as a single "arm the house and close the doors button" since both cars have 3 buttons and we have 2 doors, the last one was interfaced to lock the place up.

Thanks for the ideas! I think I may give that Wayne Dalton gateway a shot. Some of the reviews (on Amazon) are pretty negative but for 40 bucks or so I may take a chance at it. Alternately what do you think about this Idea: I have an older URC RF receiver similar to this item http://www.amazon.com/URC-RFS200-PowerPak-MasterControl-PowerBlaster/dp/B000FL9E6U My thought is to use the remote to "Teach" the homelink transmitter in the car an RF signal, then have the receiver transmit/blast an IR code to one of my Global Cache IR sensor input ports (GC100) Which Elve could respond to as an event and trigger the Zwave lights etc. This is all stuff I already have on hand so no cash outlay and possibly a good use of the RF receiver which has been sitting in my parts bin for a while.

Back