Rip & replace?

ckg1999

Hello all,

I have the following at the house and am looking to get an "all in one" type hub (i.e. Wink, Vera, SmartThings, HomeKit, etc) to manage it all:

- HAI/Leviton OmniPro IIe (some of my wired contacts have begun failing, so am migrating to other options), plus this is not really supported anymore from Leviton
- SimplyAutomated UPB switches / outlets / dimmers
- Phillips Hue v1
- Nest v2
- Zwave dimmer
- Rachio
- LaView NVR

Goals:
- All in one security / thermostat / lighting / automation easily managed

Appreciate any guidance / assistance in this space.

security is always going to be best served by an embedded piece of hardware. I would repair or replace the failing contacts, assuming you're not talking cabling issues. You're also not talking a really robust NVR either, so security-wise, you're at the low end of the spectrum currently and should consider upgrading and repair there first.

DELInstallations said:
security is always going to be best served by an embedded piece of hardware. I would repair or replace the failing contacts, assuming you're not talking cabling issues.
Agree 100%.  Can always ditch the OmniPro for a traditional alarm like DSC, etc.

The IIE is still supported, the only difference between it and a full OP is it's basically half the capabilities with no expansion. I have not heard Leviton is not supporting the unit anymore.

That panel vs. a "traditional" alarm is very different in capabilities.

Not to hammer you, but your short list is pretty much tossing out all low end components and capabilities out of the box, consumer level devices. Once you move away from the bottom tier, you should see more capabilities and integration opportunities.

ckg1999 said:
Hello all,

I have the following at the house and am looking to get an "all in one" type hub (i.e. Wink, Vera, SmartThings, HomeKit, etc) to manage it all:

- HAI/Leviton OmniPro IIe (some of my wired contacts have begun failing, so am migrating to other options), plus this is not really supported anymore from Leviton
- SimplyAutomated UPB switches / outlets / dimmers
- Phillips Hue v1
- Nest v2
- Zwave dimmer
- Rachio
- LaView NVR

Goals:

Appreciate any guidance / assistance in this space.
I would have to wish you luck on this goal.  For example none of the hubs support UPB as far as I know.  So you won't be able to control those, and while the Omni can control ZWave and UPB, it can't control the Nest.  This of course didn't come about by accident. Companies that make home automation products care more about making money than they do about your connectivity goals, so if a class of product doesn't bring them money, they won't bother to connect to it.  If the Omni and hubs could talk, that would bridge a bunch, but it ain't going to happen. You could bridge things with some Rube Goldberg solutions, but nothing short of that. 

Ha - its tough, because so many companies have gone Insteon / Zwave vs ZigBee / UPB. 

I am fine tossing the OPIIe and getting something like an Elk or what not.  I just dont know where to begin with all this craziness that's out there.

I don't feel like dropping a ton of cash for an installer to come in and Creston / Control4 it all together, when I have friends who have the simple security, Nest, etc all tied together with a Vera (not using OmniPro)

ckg1999 said:
Ha - its tough, because so many companies have gone Insteon / Zwave vs ZigBee / UPB. 

I am fine tossing the OPIIe and getting something like an Elk or what not.  I just dont know where to begin with all this craziness that's out there.

I don't feel like dropping a ton of cash for an installer to come in and Creston / Control4 it all together, when I have friends who have the simple security, Nest, etc all tied together with a Vera (not using OmniPro)
Honestly of all the "hubs" the Omni is actually your BEST bet.  It can talk to UPB, Zwave and Zigbee, it can handle video, it can handle security (at least the Omni Pro II), it can speak with thermostats (just not the Nest) and it can talk to Zigbee and Zwave light bulbs (just not color control). That REALLY is not bad when you think about it.  Mine is also controlling a house full of Somfy blinds and an LED sign. 

Now where the Omni falls short is Internet connectivity, but their email board helps a bit.  Otherwise there are third-part apps like HAIku that can bridge the gap here.  I think you will have much better luck getting the Omni to do all you want then you will with a "hub." and as Del says, your going to need an alarm panel anyway. 

ELK or Leviton, that can be debated but if you already know the Omni, you might be better off just upgrading that and you won't have as steep a learning curve.  And the Omni is certainly as capable as the ELK, especially with bigger systems like it sounds like you are getting.

@ Ano:

It sounds more like he wants a single "sexy" platform to interface with whatever gadget of the day on the UI portion, which would entail a hub to unify a hodge podge of technologies and vendors.

The better solution would be to determine which technologies are going to be used, standardize, then put a plan together with what needs replacement, upgrading, or integration from the main platform.

I am fine tossing the OPIIe

I am willing to take the OPIIe old panel off your hands.  I will even pay for delivery.

DELInstallations said:
@ Ano:

It sounds more like he wants a single "sexy" platform to interface with whatever gadget of the day on the UI portion, which would entail a hub to unify a hodge podge of technologies and vendors.
Yes me too. Ship as soon as possible. Who do I make the check out to?

It has to connect with UPB, Zwave, Bluetooth, Zigbee, Nest Thermostats, video cameras, Somfy RTS and Hue bulbs, and can't require a cloud connection.

Its not so much that I want "new shiny things", its the WAF that is getting me.  She loves the Nest, functionality of the Hue, etc.  I had Zwave stats that worked with the OPIIe, but had some issues around them firing random commands. 

It looks like either the best option is to stay with the OPIIe and have it all separate (Nest, Phillips, etc) rather than use a Vera to bring it together.

You could certainly use a product like ours to sit on top of all of it and bring it together. We support Nest, Hue, Omni, Z-Wave, and UPB (though I'd just leave the UPB going through the Omni if you already have it that way and it's working well, and we can get to it via the Omni.)

As Dean mentions you can go to CQC software integration.  Here I utilize Homeseer. 

The software is addendum to what already is working here (OmniPro 2) providing the automation heartbeat of the home with no dependencies on external to the home resources. (internet / smart phone / the "voices" and voice recognition (seeds of AI))

Goals:

My OP2 configuration is self managing of sorts where I do not really waste much efforts making sure that it is working. 

Priorities are basic; security first, HVAC second and Lighting is 3rd. 

Everything else is just candy and well the software allows me to tinker.

Isn't that really the goal here anyway?

its the WAF that is getting me.  She loves the Nest, functionality of the Hue

Well then just give her what she wants and be done with it.  Add an Amazon Echo to your mix above.

You (she?) will sleep better.  Ahhh ...(unrelated-related) the subversion of diversity....

It will be more stuff for you to do (sic transit gloria mundi) and will provide a WAF justification of automation costs.

Back