Safest/Best way to disable phone line ringing

The diodes are attempting to convert the AC ringing voltage to a DC voltage that the ringer will ignore. But without some filtering capacitors, there is still a waveform there, so I don't know what modern ringers will do with that. I also don't know if the phone company likes diodes on their line. Maybe electronic ringers are voltage sensitive and don't care if it is AC or DC or something in between anymore? YMMV?

I assume the ringer would have to be before the polarity protection circuit, otherwise the ringer will be getting something other than the desired pure AC ringing signal.

Up until now, I used to turn off my cordless phones at night so we wouldn't be disturbed. However, battery aging is causing this to be a problem now, since the battery ends up dead after a few minutes of use.

So I would like to disable the ringing signal with my Elk M1 (either with the digital outputs, or the relay outputs). I know there are some circuits out there that can do this, but I am hoping someone else is already doing this, and can recommend a safe & reliable circuit to do this.

This would allow me to free up my UPB modules, and keep the phones turned on. Thanks!

Depending on the phone... often you can put a diode in series with either side of the phone line which will stop the appropriate ringing voltage from getting through but still allow you to USE the phones for outgoing calls. The relay could be used to short the diode when you want normal operation...

I researched this a bunch and I really think you want to use this sandman device Automatic Ringer Cutoff. Give the thing 12V and it cuts off ONLY the ringer, turn it off and phones work normally. When the ringer is off you can still dial out and you can pick up the phone if you know it is ringing. The thing just works. My HVPro turns ringers off from 5:30 to 6:30 every night. Haven't had dinner interrupted in the last year.

I take the phone line from ComCast (VOIP) and to my alarm panel (so it can have the line if it needs it) then I have two patch panels, one for unaffected lines (computers, HomeVision etc) then out of that panel through the Automatic Ringer Cutoff and into the patch panel for the phones in the house.

This is one of the few HA features that has very high WAF, and zero issues in the year since we moved in. Highly recommended.

Back