Sage Extender

Was just cruising for a better price on the unit at PCAlchemy

Looks like Sage has designed their own interface for it...

If you come across a thread on the Sage forums with pics of the interface, please link...

My understanding is that the interface on the extender looks more-or-less like normal SageTV. I have Sage and an MVP, but I don't use the Sage extender interface.

I've played with alternate interfaces on the MVP, but ended up just using the standard one.

It doesn't seem to support HD outputs, or TV streaming, which is something I really want. I really think the only other comparable solution out there is MythTV.

The Hauppauge MediaMVP - the hardware used for the Sage Extender - is a pretty limited device.

It only supports composite and svideo outputs. Audio is two-channel analog only. These are limitations.

On the other hand, it is cheap (relatively speaking) and small. It has mpeg2 decoding in hardware - so playing an mpeg2 requires no processor intervention on the server. For other types, the server (Sage in this case) needs to transcode.

I think it stands out from most of the other networked media players. While it's not fancy and doesn't have high-end outputs, the hardware works quite well. Given the price, I think it can be a much better solution (not for everyone, though) than many of the other options, especially those that essentially require a computer for each location (local or remote). Hauppauge chose a simple, relatively inexpensive solution. They also seem to stick behind their product better than most of the other networked media players.

If you have a PC for each location, the Sage client works well (if you want to stick with Sage). I use the Sage client in another remote away from my PVR machine (running Sage) to control Sage. It can play back everything, too.

Sage PlaceShifter can be used to stream video (recorded or live) over the internet (client is intended for LAN use). This should work about like the SlingBox. You pay $30 on top of the cost of Sage for each license - you need a license for each connection you want to maintain. This, by the way, may be a good solution for people who have been talking about using something like a SlingBox to monitor security cameras.

You can also render your own custom-made Sage UI [STV] on the extender. Not a CQC UI, only a Sage UI, so it's limited in what it can do, but still pretty customizable using SageStudio.

For example, I could render this using an MVP

Attachments

• Main_TV_Recordings.JPG
    Main_TV_Recordings.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 26
smee said:
It only supports composite and svideo outputs. Audio is two-channel analog only. These are limitations.
Good point and very much agreed. However, for a little over $100, for a 'secondary viewing location' with a smaller tv, perhaps it might be a good idea.

If you're only looking to begin a stream for TV/DVD, and you don't care about using it to control your TV or receiver or anything else, then I think this is perfect.

Just keep in mind that there will be 2 different "look&Feel" for TV/DVD, one through this, one through CQC/ML/... For me, in my personal world, for my personal audience, they'd rather have consistency and spend $380 on a cheap HTPC+theatertek+sagetvclient,and dedicate it to that zone so it can render the same UI. I may have to spend another $160 on a 3400 if there's not one nearby.

That's $550 min vs $100, so obviously a totally different price point, and totally different functionality, but that's the decision you need to make.

Mike said:
smee said:
Good point and very much agreed. However, for a little over $100, for a 'secondary viewing location' with a smaller tv, perhaps it might be a good idea.
I said they are limitations, but I don't mind them at all.

I distribute composite video and stereo sound throughout my apartment. My MVP feeds into my AV multiplexor and from there to various rooms. Whether it's the massive 20" CRT in the living room or the 5 inch LCD in the kitchen (or anything in between [1]), I'm happy with the MVP.

[1] Actually, it goes to the 4" LCD on the workbench, too.

Back