Samsung Family Hub Smart Refrigerator CES 2016

pete_c

Guru
New toys for home.

The show stealer of the technology giant’s CES press conference Tuesday was undoubtedly the new Family Hub refrigerator.  

The fridge will come complete with sensors, cameras, smart capabilities and a huge touch screen display. It also takes a picture of what’s inside your fridge every time you close the door- meaning you’ll always be up to date on how much milk and bread you have left.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/MkOnf7Fl3P0[/youtube]

Unfortunately I knew this day was coming, and this year's CES just proves it. We hit the point where everything useful in the world has already been invented, so now 99.99% of new "innovations" are rather stupid or silly.  I guess I have never longed for a camera in my refrigerator and the thought that some hacker in China can now start my stove is downright scary. All I can say is that if your stove takes THAT long to heat up where you have to turn it on before you leave from work, maybe Internet connectivity is not your stove's biggest problem.  :rofl:

pete_c said:
The fridge will come complete with sensors, cameras, smart capabilities and a huge touch screen display. It also takes a picture of what’s inside your fridge every time you close the door- meaning you’ll always be up to date on how much milk and bread you have left.

I'm wondering if it can count eggs though? :blink:   Also, must be a really good (xray?) camera as usually I need to move a whole bunch of stuff at the front of the fridge to find stuff in the back or in the drawers.    ^_^

Personally thinking people tethered to their smart phones will flock to the product because it comes with a free app and they will be able to check on the 'fridge from the living room in their homes.

Sparkman1 said:
I'm wondering if it can count eggs though? :blink:   Also, must be a really good (xray?) camera as usually I need to move a whole bunch of stuff at the front of the fridge to find stuff in the back or in the drawers.    ^_^
I had the Quirky Egg tray that did count eggs, and I could check it on my phone, but refrigeration and electronics didn't mix. It lasted two weeks.

I recently spoke to an applliance technician and in the course of the conversation he mentioned that Samsung was one of the refrigerators he won't work on. He says that they make repairs much more difficult than they should be and I'm guessing that there is more to learn in all the high tech gadgetry.

Mike.

I almost bought that Samsung fridge with the LCD touch screen on it (because I love gadgets).    The reviews stopped me.   Said it couldn't connect to WiFi and the display didn't really do anything.

We just bought all new appliances.   Some weird features..like carbonated water in the door and a Kueurig coffee maker in the door.

A photo of my naked fridge doesn't impress me.  
What I have found useful is the Alexa app and shopping list.   Simple and it works.   Run out of eggs, "Alexa, add eggs to shopping list".
At the store, a check list on your phone.   It works.  So far I'm impressed.   Can't wait to have her control lighting.

I will say we rethought the cook top.   Were going to do high end gas.  Our builder said, "Research Induction". 
Induction is BIG in Europe.  People who have it LOVE it.   Boils water in a fraction of the time.   Spill overs don't "bake" into the surface because the surface isn't not.
So, after spending an hour cleaning our gas stove, and seeing that smooth top, we ordered Induction.

--Russ

I could see the checklist being useful but overall I'm not buying it. Plus I'm not so sure I want my housemates to be able to request groceries..  ^_^

Back