Semi-Dead x10 Lamp Modules

Treetop

When a bulb burns out, the x10 LM465 lamp modules will no longer turn off... rather, they only dim to about 50% when an off command is sent... I have a couple of modules that this has happened to. I am able to turn them on and dim them (down to about 50%).

Just wondering if this is a common problem with the lamp modules, and if there is a mod that will get them working again?

Treetop

I've had one or two bulbs burnt out on those type modules before and never had that problem. I've since relegated those all to Christmas light duty and use lamplincs and zwave modules for lamps...

Have you tried different bulbs (diff brand)?

Have you tried sending several off commands?

Have you tried cycling the lamp locally (using the little twisty switch on the lamp to switch it on and off, leave it in the on position, then see if you can control it with X10)

Have you tried spinning the code wheels around a few times (not the same scenario, but I once had an IR543 sending out phantom signals, I spun the code wheel around, returning in to its original position, and the problem went away).

Have you tried different bulbs (diff brand)?
Yep.. 40W, 60W, and rope light.. same behavior

Have you tried sending several off commands?
Yep... no go

Have you tried cycling the lamp locally (using the little twisty switch on the lamp to switch it on and off, leave it in the on position, then see if you can control it with X10)
Yep...

Have you tried spinning the code wheels around a few times (not the same scenario, but I once had an IR543 sending out phantom signals, I spun the code wheel around, returning in to its original position, and the problem went away).
Yep, even a different house/unit code

I just took it apart to see if any components had been damaged... everything looks good (to my eye). Oh well, these are the "el-cheapo" units. I have always said that once my x10 gear dies, I would upgrade, so this is really a lose-win situation :)

Thanks for the suggestions though, jrfuda. If nothing else, they gave me a glimmer of hope while I tested them out :)

Edit: Also, one of the bad units doesnt respond at all now (been in a box for ages)... go figure.

Treetop

Treetop said:
I am able to turn them on and dim them (down to about 50%).
It's the triac.

You can think of a triac as two SCRs in anti-parallel. One of them has shorted. So on one half of your AC cycle, the lamp module is working normally, but the other half of the AC cycle is always on.

I will try to get you a part number later.

Great... make me go dig through the trash can :)

Actually, Id be much appreciative if you can get me that part #, as this would be a fun soldering project... I have yet to actually mess around with an assembled product.

Thanks rocco.

Edit: Its a BTA10-400C .. not sure what that translates into when I walk into radioshack though... Also, this looks like a very easy project as the Triac is located on the edge of the board and no other solder points are nearby (makes for easy desoldering) :)

Treetop

Desoldering tip: Cut the part out by clipping the leads first. You are now removing three loose legs, instead of one three-legged part. Leave the legs long on the board, and they will stick to the soldering iron and you can slip them out.

Well, I checked Radio Shack, and they don't have a suitable replacement. But www.mouser.com has the exact part. But I would forgo the cheap 400volt version that was originally used for the 600volt equivalent.

The 600 volt one is 511-BTA10-600C for $1.08
The 400 volt one is 511-BTA10-400C for $0.88

Digi-Key has some that are almost direct replacements.

Thank you Rocco!

I had the hardest time trying to track down a place to purchase these from... Came close, only to have electron shoot it down... they were out of stock :)

Great tip, too. I picked up 4 of those 600C units... in case the other two modules break on me.

Once again, thanks for your help

Treetop

Back