Server Setup Recs?

ysualum

As I go through the planning stages, I'm trying to figure out how to do my server(s) setup.

Here is what programs I plan on running:

-SageTV with 3-4 tuners (ATSC, QAM, Comcast SD, Comcast HD)
-Mediaserver for MP3s to play through Russound CAV6.6 and ripped DVDs for Sage
-Mainlobby
-Avermedia card to capture security cameras
-HAI PC access and maybe WL3

From my reading here, it looks like the Avermedia will need to be on a separate server than the Sage cards, so that will require at least 2 servers.
I'm thinking of putting Mainlobby, Avermedia, HAI stuff on one and SageTV and media storage and network.

Questions:
1. Does this set up seem reasonable?
2. I'm planning on purchasing a server that will be able to handle Sage and HD playback. I have a 3 year old Dell 400SC Server (not sure of exact specs) w/ XP Pro, would that be enough to handle Mainlobby, Avermedia?
3. I have a HP EX475 Mediasmart server with Windows Home Server on it. I don't think I can use it as one of the above functions as it has no space to install capture cards. Is there an advantage to having this, or should I just return it?

I appreciate your input and hope to be able to contribute more in the future once I get more experience.

Thanks

I am not familiar with the Avermedia gear, but if it sounds correct that the SageTV server running TV capture cards might have issues with the Avermedia capture cards on same PC.

Take a look at Sage's HD200 extenders for playback. With these, then MLServer and SageTV should run fine on the Dell 400SC as long as you have a decent amount of Ram (Sage requires quite a bit) and CPU.

Both MLServer and SageTV run fine on WHS...seems the issue is not having any slots for capture cards...with that, if you can return it, might make sense so that you don't have yet another PC on the network.

The MLSageTV plugin is the key to integration between MLServer and SageTV.
More info here:
http://talluscorp.com/mediawiki/index.php?...MLSageTV_Plugin
You might get some ideas from the connection example pictures there.

Back