Shenandoah's complete mess....

Alot depends on how much room you have and the layout. A structured wiring can is pretty much a staple of a wood structured wiring system. You could just use a backboard (plywood over a large blank wall), but cans are a bit neater imho. But beware, cans are like hard drives, you fill them up real fast and will always find a way to fill what you have. Knowing that, I recommend multiple large cans for any decent sized system. Yes, you can cram alot into a small can but it will be difficult to work on, and not very neat. I personally like the large 50" cans from Channel Vision. You can get them at Automated Outlet.

Well to the subject of racks... i looked and seriously though about mid-atlantic , etc... Even had the wife's approval despite the price. But shelves or custom face plates for rack mounts / ears, etc would have been outragous... I decided to build my own. 3/4" ply (good stuff from the wood place, not HD/Lowes). I butt joined (glued & pin nailed) some thin strips of red oak i had left over from my stair project to the front edges of the shelves and sanded flush for edge treatment - blind dadoes up front (recessed a little so the door could be near flush with the trim and have room to pivot). Coated in black enamel semi gloss ... I cut out a stud, moved it over and built this into the wall (a little over 19" wide). Screwed to makeshift header/footer and studs on each side. It's not going anywhere...

For cooling, my father in law picked up a fan usually used to aid in air distribution in ductwork. I haven't hooked it up, but will run off a relay connected to an elk output and triggered by a rack mounted temp sensor rules... (temp sensor will be near te top near my Onkyo and STBs which product a ton of heat)

All in all, paint/glass/wood was under 200 bucks and the WAF is very high...

I need some black plastic wire wrap. Unfortunately my monnster speaker wire and long runs of composite video cable are white. and as you can see sticks out a little from behind - esp. when the door is opened

-brad

Attachments

• rack1.jpg
    rack1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 152
  • rack2.jpg
    rack2.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 99
  • rackcool.jpg
    rackcool.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 73
and my touchdcreen - moving from a prior post...

Attachments

• touch1.jpg
    touch1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 66
  • touch2.jpg
    touch2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 50
  • touch4.jpg
    touch4.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 46
  • touch5.jpg
    touch5.jpg