Single Gang Recessed Surge Protected Outlet

broconne

So - Leviton makes a 1 Gange Surge Receptacle
And
The also make a Single Gang Recessed Receptacle

Does anyone make a single gang recessed surge receptacle? I have a few outlets that are pre-wired single gang outlets for TVs that I want to put a surge receptacle on and be able to flush mount the TV as close as possible. I have seen a few two gangs, but I would rather not try and remove the box in the wall.

It looks like an Arlington recessed box could be used with the Leviton surge-protected outlet, but I'm not sure:

http://images.cableorganizer.com/arlington...Vbox-manual.pdf

Edit - I think Arlington makes lots of different sizes of boxes, but again, unsure.

Neurorad -
Thanks for the link. I am looking for a solution in which I don't have to replace the box - but rather just the receptacle. However, a fair amount of searching I am coming to the conclusion that may just not exist.

Just to be clear, you're saying you have a recessed box already, and just want to replace the receptacle with one that has some type of surge protection?

What brand box do you have?

I've seen some extension products that allow you to run that box's Romex to another outlet, and then to a conditioner/suppressor component, and then back into an outlet. This removes the problem of running a cord inside the wall. Good for powerd subs that you want to have the same ground as the rest of the system.

Lots of different brands and configurations, this shows how it works, in theory:

RapidLink.jpg

Probably easier to replace the box.

Edit - replaced image with one that works

Just to be clear, you're saying you have a recessed box already, and just want to replace the receptacle with one that has some type of surge protection?

What brand box do you have?

I've seen some extension products that allow you to run that box's Romex to another outlet, and then to a conditioner/suppressor component, and then back into an outlet. This removes the problem of running a cord inside the wall. Good for powerd subs that you want to have the same ground as the rest of the system.

Lots of different brands and configurations, this shows how it works, in theory:

805_SSOCTPUBIV.jpg

Probably easier to replace the box.

The box I have is just a standard box. If you look at my first post I link to a leviton receptacle that goes into a standard box and the plug itself is recessed a bit. I was just wondering if someone made a receptacle like that - that was also surge protected.

Got it now.

I can't find one.

I think a standard, single gang box may be too small for both.

I'd swap the box. Careful of the drywall when you pry the box away from the stud. Only move the screwdriver away from the stud, once it's positioned between the box and the stud. Let the box fall into the wall, won't hurt anything. Cut the new hole, pop in a new new double gang old work box, and install a double gang outlet with surge protection - I found some from Panamax, but $$$. I don't really know how deep the Panamax ones are - they look kind of shallow.

http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/48419.pdf

Back